Doomed Peace Lily

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by SwtLei, Feb 17, 2013.

1. SwtLei

SwtLei New Seed

I just received a large beautiful peace lily a couple of weeks ago from my employer. At the initial sight of the leaves drooping I gave it water. About 3-4 days later I noticed that the leaves were drooping significantly more so I did some research, tested the soil and it was not dry but my finger did come out with little to no soil. I determined I should provide more water. I took the pot out of the basket to make sure that it was not sitting in water and all was dry. I gave the plant another 1 C of room temp water. The leaves have continued to sag farther. I have moved the plant from the SE window that I originally put it in. I am so distraught and want to save this plant as it was to me when my grandfather passed away.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. margie12u
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My first thought was up un-pot it and check the roots. It might need a bigger home and some fresh soil.

4. SwtLei

SwtLei New Seed

Thanks for the quick reply. I just received the plant only a couple of weeks ago. Would it respond that quickly if it needed re-potted?

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Yep!

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Hi SwtLei,

Of concern is the short time period your plant exhibited the present symptoms. Did your plant experience any temperatures below 45°F? Perhaps during transport? Temperatures below that can spell the demise of your Peace Lily. Drafts are another concern especially near non-insulated windows during the winter.

Jerry

7. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi SwtLei, 1 cup of water would not be anywhere near enough for a 'large' plant.Mine sits out side in rain and all other elements except full sun.I water it with the hose a couple of times a week.I hose it till the water runs out the bottom of the pot.I know we are different climate but I know one thing about those plants...they like water but not to soak in it.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

Frank and Jewell like this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I agree ... 1 cup of water is not enough!

9. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

It's not about the amount of moisture put on the plant but how moist it causes the soil to be. If there is a large volume of soil, 8 oz. of water may not moisten it much.

If it's not wilting from lack of water, my first thought was also that it had gotten very cold, being February, but don't know where Swt. is.

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I just noticed that Swt has a photo of the Peace Lily in "her garden". I can't even see the pot. :(

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

And you surely can see how unhappy he is...Poor thing. Hurry SwtLei and save your new babies life. He will be thankful and give you nice flowers to look at later. ;)

12. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Just looked at the photo.....quick give it water, let the plant sit in a dish of water for awhile, maybe all morning.After it recovers and the leaves stand up it will probably show signs of shock[lack of water] around the leaf edges.Cut off those leaves, once they are brown they will not go green again.
    Show us a new photo in a few days when the leaves will be standing up again.

13. Victorianna

Victorianna New Seed

Thanks to SwtLei for her question on the Peace lily. That is the very reason I signed in today! Thank you to all who responded to the question. I am off to do what I can to help my Peace lily!! :)