Dried Beans

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Growingpains, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Does anyone know exactly know how to harvest and dry beans? I have allowed my bush beans to grow and begin to dry. Now I wonder if I should leave them alone until they are all dry and brown, or is it best to harvest them while still green and dry them on a sheet or screen? I definitely want to save my own seeds.

2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

We let ours dry naturally on the plant, which is okay if the weather is going to stay dry and bright. If your weather is still good, and the beans are already drying, I would leave them to totally dry on the vines. I have picked them in the green before and tried to dry them, and some shrivel, some get mildew and mould and some rot. Good luck.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Thanks for the answer. Some of the beans are dry and some are still green. I wonder if I should pick off the dried ones? I wonder if they might mold on the vines? The patch is quite thick or dense, so not a lot of airflow.
    They are very good bush beans and have been great producers for me.

5. EJ

If some are brown and crispy, then I can see no harm in taking them off to allow better air flow. I love dried beans and have borlottii beans drying on the allotment at the moment. Lovely in soup. mmmm

Advertisement
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I checked today. Some feel crisp and some not. I will give them until Sunday before I pick any. Those that are dry have been rained on. Does that harm them?

7. EJ

No, the rain doesn't harm them, so long as you pick them dry. Lots of rain means they won't dry properly.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I hope they will dry without mildewing. We have had light rain today, so they will be quite damp. If I lose a few, too bad. I'll just take what I get and post my harvest here.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

growingpains, sometimes i have taken up the whole plant with the greenones on it, due to bad weather coming or frost, and hung it in a dry, airy spot. the green beans will dry on the plant and have seed as long as they are bumpy (filled with seed). the 'air' circulation keeps the plant material from molding.

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Bunkie, I decided to just take them all out because frost was predicted. I seperated the crisp ones from the green or moist and I will take my chances. I appreciate all the advice.