Drought tolerant full sun plants

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK folks, Ron and I are talking about a couple areas of the yard that need work, and we decided that if we plant some flowers that'll do for right now, till we have a bit more time to devote to more detailed care.

So.....tell me please, your best suggestions for some annuals that are low maintenance, will thrive in the sun, and that we don't need to get out there and water every single day in Tennessee's hot summers.

We're in Zone 7A.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Native perennials would be so much better than annuals. They will tolerate your weather conditions, once established will deal with drought and heat and come back every year with no fuss or bother. Do a google search for Native Tennessee Plants.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Ronni--The first plant that comes to mind for a sunny place (and an American native) is the Echinacea. Perhaps the most well known is the purpurea; however, there are many hybrids in different colours like yellow, salmon, pink etc. There is even one called Echinacea tennesseensis. The plants in this family are technically perenneal, but here they do not always last more than a year.

These plants do not have much of a fragrance, but they do bloom all summer.

Another easy plant is the Phlox...also comes in different colours.

This is a good beginning in my opinion. If you just cannot make up your minds and are at wit's end, let me know and I will give you a few more ideas.

Catdaddy6676 likes this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Something in the rudbeckia family is good if you like yellow. Buy them blooming and they bloom all summer for me. There are several varieties. In my climate they are a perennial and are multiplied by division easily. I think they are native to the Midwest. Also known as Black-eyed Susan 72C1E17A-0559-4329-99CB-16ADC8CBF337.jpeg

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would give a hardy "second" to Jewell's suggestion. Annnnnd they are gorgeous as well. I have some in my lottie as well.

7. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

Stella D'or lilies love full sun and are quite striking en masse. Yellow is classic but they have red also. Lantana is great in the summer sun.