Dutch design boat in Annapolis - for Sjoerd

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by daisybeans, Jul 15, 2010.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I was in Annapolis this evening picking up some gear from a friend. I was on a pier where there were a few older sailboats in various stages of renovation (plus a couple gigantic sailboats that dock there between races), and I saw this cute little sailboat there. There wasn't anyone around it so I couldn't get any information about it but I snapped the picture so I could show everyone, especially Sjoerd. It's a Dutch design from the shape of the hull and the side boards (what are they called?). It was all wood and appeared very old, very sturdy, a work boat. On one of the seats were the words Maryland Virginia in faded paint. It was maybe 30 - 32 feet long.... I am really wondering about it -- maybe I will be able to find out more. What do you think Sjoerd? Do you think it could be all the way from Holland? You can see it's an open boat so it couldn't have sailed across the sea! Maybe it was brought here in a different way?

[​IMG]
    Dutch design boat in Annapolis MD ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahoy matey!

Well, that style certainally does look Dutch, although the Danes also had some similar ones.

I can't really say with any certainty that the boat in the foto is Dutch. It has elements of several different sorts.
    Th closest thing that I can imagine that it might be is the "tjalkje".
    The stablizers on the sides (or "side-swords") are located more or less in the center and the main mast is towards the front--typical.

I see that there are places to sit there and many of our boats have this area covered and thus there is a cabin, in effect. (not the ones that were used for transporting freight--they were open).

You are correct that this boat would not have been sailed from Europe to North Amerika...it is far too unstable. It looks as if the bottom is almost flattish.

I suppose that it could be a replica or someones idea of an old-type of boat. To have gotten that boat there (if it indeed has an European origin) one would have had to have transported it there.

Anyway, it is nice to see the style way over there.
    It was sweet of you to think of me when you saw that. You must have been surprized when you saw it lying there.

p.s. I wonder what shape the sail(s) is(are)...could you tell?
    p.p.s. Here is a foto of an oil painting that will make you feel cool on a hot day. it is of a tjalkje in the winter.

http://www.tableau-maritimecards.nl/js/ ... 5%20cm.jpg
    Thanks again.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This boat was in some stage of renovation so it didn't have a sail. I'm going to try to do a little research -- old boats are fascinating to me, especially work boats. This one would not have been particularly suited to the Chesapeake Bay. I have some other ideas but none of them make sense. So it would be interesting to learn a little more.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

There is another type of boat called a "schuit" whose primary use was in transporting goods. Usually these were "open" but I have seen quite a few that were covered with a "below decks" space.
    Very interesting topic, this one.

There are many different types of boats here and they all have their own names and purposes (although modified through the years).

6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Nice boat :) My dream is to have a ocean going sail boat ...... hmmmmmmmm....... well I guess I could only dream about it ....