Early morning bobcat

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Jul 24, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

As I was going out this morning to feed the hens and let them into their outside coop, I saw our bobcat! We hadn't seen the bobcat yet this year, and was afraid he/she had moved on.
    The bobcat was in the corn rows, and then made a beeline for the trees at the edge of the barn. I was happy to see the 'cat, but not so near our ladies. However, both the inside and outside coop are secure above and below, and although we've had bobcats here before, we've never had a predation problem.
    Going out in the early morning is such an adventure (and yes, I am easily entertained!).

Jerry Sullivan and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'd have been thrilled to catch sight of a bobcat too Jane. I'm so glad your ladies are safe though as I'd hate them to come to any harm.

4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Yes, indeed, Bobcats love dining on chickens...
    Jane, if yours gets started eating your chickens it will require a very sturdy fence/coop to
    frustrate its efforts to get to the chickens..
    Voice of experience speaking, the only Bobcat that
    I ever killed (intentionally) was to stop it from feasting on my chickens..
    Hank

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hank, both coops are dug down 18" and lined with chicken wire, with bricks on top of the wire. The inside coop also has a metal pipe that is about 3" below surface. The outside coop has 2"x4" attaching it to the barn, and a double chicken wire mesh over the top. We have been fortunate in that no predator--bobcat, coyote, or hawk has ever gotten into the coops. The only time we lost a chicken was to a feral cat who managed to reach through the wire and kill a molting hen.
    I will keep an eye on our coops and make sure that the bobcat doesn't think this is the local outlet of Chick-fil-a! Thank you for the advice, which I will follow. You know how fond I am of my ladies . . . .