East Texas Christmas Story

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Desert Rat, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

East Texas Christmas Story

It is Christmas Eve and I think back over 73 years of C Christmas Eves. Christmas as a child was an annual joy. Now, however, at the other end of life, all the things Christmas ever meant to me have rearranged themselves. Laura and I will spend it quietly by ourselves and that she is here to share it with me is my current joy.
    Over 53 years ago she and I spent our first Christmas together. Her family lived in Wisconsin and we were in Philadelphia where I was stationed with the Navy. Laura was a country girl, the result of the merging of two clans, the Flemings and the Sacketts. Her ancestors were pioneer stock who stood at the portals of the wilderness that was our country and said, “This will be our home.” They worked and fought to make it so. They were hardy and determined people and still are. I admire and respect them.
    Laura, a country girl, did not care for the big city life but the Fleming and Sackett determination was built in and I was there and so she would be. “Whither thou goest, I will go” was her motto.
    So we are here at Christmas Eve in 2013 and we sit at the table, talking of Christmas past. In her eyes I see a kindness as large and warm as the summer wind on the prairie. My Christmas is joyous because she is here.
    Merry Christmas to you Laura and from the Piney Woods of East Texas to all you all out there, Merry Christmas and God Bless You Every One.

Frank, waretrop, carolyn and 15 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Too sweet! Merry Christmas to you both.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Merry Christmas Brian and I hope you and Laura have many more Christmas's together. :D

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, Brian, what a lovely story. Some events just make you take a good long look at the good things you have in life, don't they.

Advertisement
  6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Thank you all for our kind remarks and the seeds and patches. It is a very true story and it is now Christmas morning. I'm sitting here with Laura enjoying a cup of coffee and being happy, happy, happy. Merry Christmas to all of you.

dr

7. V for short

V for short Seedling

Wonderful, thanks for sharing and inspiring.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Desert Rat, your story makes me teary eyed. I, too, am thankful just to have my husband and know he loves me and I love him and that is all we need. I hope we have as many blessed years as you and Laura have had.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Merry Christmas DR & Dooley! You both truly are a gift to us all :)