El Chico Restaurant White Sauce Recipe

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by WUVIE, Feb 8, 2007.

1. WUVIE

WUVIE Seedling

Recently I went on quite a mission to find a recipe for the infamous white sauce served at many mexican restaurants. Little did I know El Chico restaurant gave the recipe away for the asking. :)

This is not a gravy or a cream, or even a cheese sauce, but rather a side-by-side served with tortilla chips before the big meal.

WHITE SAUCE

1 quart Hellman's Mayonnaise

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

4-5 ounces of grated bleu cheese
    (Treasure Cave Crumbled Gorgonzola is what you really want,
    and it comes in a container with the perfect amount needed.)

1/4 cup dill pickle relish (not sweet)

1/4 cup finely chopped salad olives with pimentos

2/3 cup dry milk powder

2 cups of water

Per the recipe:
    Combine and mix dry ingredients together with milk and mayonnaise, then add remaining ingredients. Chill and serve. Yield approximately 1 3/4 quarts of white sauce.

Per my thoughts:
    If you cannot find crumbled bleu cheese, buy the brick, then run it through a cheese grater.
    It is easier to place all the liquid or wet ingredients into a blender, then add the olives, relish and bleu cheese, pulsing the blender instead of allowing it to cream the mixture too much. Otherwise the olives will liquify and cause your sauce to be runny. But if that is your preference, well. :)

Serve chilled with thin restaurant style chips or chips of your choice. Or better yet, stop by an actual Mexican restaurant for a bag of their chips to go. :-D

Please note, per the handsome young man who gave me this recipe, it is not to be marketed. It is for home enjoyment only.

Karen Marie

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. WUVIE

WUVIE Seedling

Update. Made this sauce and have a few suggestions. Of course, this is based on my own taste buds. LOL.

Stick with 4 ounces of bleu. It is already strong enough with the bleu, unless you just love the flavor of it, 4 ounces will do.

Hellmans, not Kraft. Ugh!

Makes a LOT of sauce. Best to divvy the recipe in half if you don't have a big blender, or make the entire batch in two loads, then mix together. Allow to be refrigerated for a few hours at least.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Karen how long will this sauce keep if refigerated? I take it you can't freeze it - or can you?

5. WUVIE

WUVIE Seedling

Freezing Mexican White Sauce...

Hello Eileen, :-D

Hmm. I'm not sure about the freezing factor. If I had to guess, it would be a no, simply for the fact that it seems upon thawing it would separate greatly.

At home it might not be that bad, as you could stir it often, but in the restaurant I think they make it fresh only.

The bleu cheese came with an expiration date, so I will assume a week in the fridge and it would be time to toss. :-o

Hope this helps.

Oh, and P.S. about your name. My aunt's name is also Eileen, but spelled Ilene. The quad of sisters were named as follows: Ina, Iva, Irma and Ilene. Isn't that a hoot? :)

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks for the info Karen. My daughter loves this type of sauce but I doubt it'll last a whole week in the 'fridge once she tastes it!!! :rolleyes: I agree I think it would seperate if put in the freezer so I'll forget that idea and give her the recipe so that she can make it for herself if she likes it.

There's another way of spelling Eileen too - Eilean - I'm glad my mother didn't pick that way though as it means a Scottish barren island in the middle of the sea!!! :D :D

We called our sons Duncan and David and almost called our daughter Dawn until we realised they all started with the letter D. It must have been confusing for your aunt and her sisters when mail arrived for Miss I ?????? :p

7. WUVIE

WUVIE Seedling

Oh, indeed. Our family has a funny thing with names. My parents are Ken and Iva. His parents were Ken and Eva.
    So they named their children Kenny, Karen and Keith.

Ha ha. I put a stop to that when it came to my own two kids.

LOL

8. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Thanks. I think I'll file this away and make it for company. It sounds like a crowd pleaser. 8)

9. Jungle Joy

Jungle Joy New Seed

Yummy Sauce!

Now this may be infamous where you live... but where I live there are no Mexican restraunts. We use to have a La Seinorieta (or however you spell that), across the border in our Michigan sister city, but it went poof. So the only "Mexican" we get is whatever I whip up myself and now you've given me new ammo for my repitoire!

AND IT SOUNDS SO YUMMY! WHOOOOHOOO!

Thank you for sharing.

10. WUVIE

WUVIE Seedling

Mexican recipes...

Oh, Joy! No Mexican restaurants? I would die! :(

When I was younger, our family lived in New Mexico
    for quite a while, so I became all too fond of
    the food. To this day, even though I've moved all
    over the nation, I still love the food.

Soon I'll make Green Enchiladas and will share
    my recipe with you. Are you able to purchase