Embarrassing Moments

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Droopy, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I've had a few. I'll share one now, and I dare you to share one of yours.

My husband, our oldest daughter, and I went to Spain the Easter of 1998. We stayed in Marbeilla. That's pretty close to Gibraltar, so we decided to visit. And of course we wanted to see Saint Michael's Cave, and the stalactites and stalagmites in the tunnels and caves leading in and out of that big cave. So into the mountain we went. It's a lovely place, so visit if you can and haven't.

After a nice walk we came to the Cathedral Cave. There's an auditorium and a fairly big floor/stage we needed to cross before entering the tunnel leading out. They were playing Strauss waltzes over the loudspeakers, very suitable music for this place. As we walked down the stairs of the auditorium a busload of tourists on a guided tour disappeared into the tunnel on the other side. So, we were alone, we had a big floor, and good music too. I curtsied to my husband, he bowed back, and we started to waltz our way across the floor. Our oldest daughter just sighed and took up station by the entrance of the tunnel we were exiting through.

So, we waltzed. We had nearly reached the other side when I stumbled slightly and lost my rhythm. I stopped and curtsied to my husband again. He bowed back at me, we laughed, and gave each other a small kiss. And then applause broke out. We both spun around 45 degrees to see what happened, probably with a shocked look on our faces. A busload of tourists had entered the grotto very quietly, spread out on the top of the auditorium, and just stood there so we could finish our waltz. They obviously thought we deserved applause, but why I don't know. We're not good dancers, and I was visibly pregnant too.

My husband and I quickly bowed in their general direction, spund around 90 degrees and hurled ourselves towards the tunnel entrance to get out of there as quickly as we could. Our oldest daughter got disinherited there and then because she had seen those people enter the cave and never gave the slightest sign that something happened that we were unaware of, and maybe we should stop dancing. My cheeks still turn red when I remember this episode.

You can read about the cave here:

https://gibraltar.com/en/travel/see-and-do/upper-rock-nature-reserve/saint-michaels-cave.php

And now it's your turn.

2. Loading...

3. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Brilliant :D:D:D

In 1971, in those very same caves, in the darkness, I grabbed the arm of a total stranger thinking it was my Dad :eek: About time that I stopped cringing about it :D

Daniel W, S-H, MIKE ALLEN and 2 others like this.
  4. Droopy

Hahaha, Zigs! Love it! Honest mistake in the dark. It could have been worse. You might have tried to kiss what you thought was your wife.

Daniel W and Zigs like this.
  5. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

:eek: There was a very fat stalagmite in there :D That might have been more friendly than the ex wife come to think of it :D

Advertisement
  6. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Imagine if I were to be grabbed suddenly in the darkness of a cave I might toot. I would like to think not. Poor stranger!

Zigs and Droopy like this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow !! Come on folks,, keep going ! This is better than a soap opera !

Droopy and S-H like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well I haven't been embarrassed, or even if I was, I have such a thick skin that everything simply slides off me. :cool:

But I have periodically been embarrassing others, at every chance I get! :D

A few years after my mother had passed away, her 2 b*#+$y sisters came to my home, at a time when they knew that my father wasn't there. And started vomiting out poison against my father. Saying that he actually let my mother die from neglect...

Nothing could be further from the truth, as I and my siblings are witness to how our father tried to move Heaven and Earth to save her. But back in the 80s, cancer was a death sentence - However my mother's family never believed it. So one day, (for reasons best known to them), they decided to vomit out all their hate against my father - Shamelessly in of me and my siblings. They also said that come move in with us, and just leave your father.

Now I was only 12 at the time, and the youngest in my house. And I had just lost my mother a few years before - Yet now my mother's malignant sisters were now trying to split me apart from my father too? :confused:

No way was I ever going to let that happen... So I had this Sony micro cassette audio recorder. Therefore I quietly taped every hateful word they uttered - And when my father returned, I presented him with that tape.

Few days later, on my insistence, I urged my father to confront them by playing that recording it in front of them!!!

:snicker: :rofl::smt044
    EMBARRASSING!!!

30+ years later, I am still happy to be rid of them! :cool: When my father passed away, they did try to start talking to me, (by instructing their children, my cousins to be friends with me again, like in our childhood) - However I told them, now as technology progressed, I have not only still preserved that tape. But also have made digital copies of it, including one uploaded on the cloud. Which I will make public, with just one click of the mouse, (now a tap on the smartphone screen), if I ever saw them again. :D

Yes I actually am still retaining it, (I always will), as it's my first real trophy of a very successful seek and destroy campaign - Like a gold medal I will be holding onto forever!
    :smt026
    I don't know if any of you will find this funny or not - But I sure do! :smt005

Always remember, that highly manipulative, rotten control freaks, disgustingly intrusive, and extremely conniving people, (specially women who think too highly of themselves in a family and are perpetually suffering from a matriarchal complex) - Can always be defeated by technology! :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  9. Droopy

I feel you, S-H! Getting back at people like that feels like winning the Olympics. I assume. I never won the Olympics. I hope that branch of your family has the decency to be embarrassed by what they did. I'm all for forgiveness, but not always. Sometimes I choose to bear a grudge.

S-H and Daniel W like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I've made so many bad and embarrassing decisions I could write a book. Maybe a multi volume set. A few times, bad decisions involved motorcycles. It's surprising I'm alive. Best not to dwell on them. The one saving grace is I never want to hurt anyone. I'm more patient now and try to show more kindness.

One embarrassing thing that I did while trying to be helpful was at a clinic where I helped out. I gave a lady and her husband some nice reading materials in Spanish to help with their diabetes. They just stared at me, then in heavily accented English she asked what were they supposed to do with those? I said reading them might help with their diabetes. She said but I can't read Spanish, I'm Filipino. My co-worker, who was also Filipino, thought that was hilarious but I felt embarrassed.

Cayuga Morning, Zigs, S-H and 2 others like this.
  11. Droopy

Ouch, Daniel! I understand your embarrassment. I have done something similar. At least your co-worker got a laugh out of it.

Daniel W likes this.
  12. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I have the perfect meme for this.

Untitled-11.jpg

13. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We visited a similar grotto with a lake in Majorca in the mid eighties.

But a less than enchanting experience.
    The cave with the lake and the lights were fine.
    But what I really didn't need to see were the two men in a little boat crossing the lake, one rowing, the other playing the Beatles "Yesterday" on a guitar, I thought that was really naff.

Zigs and eileen like this.
  14. Droopy

Haha, @Frank, that's exactly how brains work!

Oh, @Doghouse Riley, it hurt just to read that. I know the grotto, we've visited it too. I can't remember what they were playing, but I remember it was the violin and it was very nice.

S-H, Frank and Doghouse Riley like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cool cartoon Frank, but who s Wesley?

16. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Probably the original artist @Sjoerd.

One of my most embarrassing moments was just over 15 years ago at a wedding in Sweden when I mistook one of the guests as the groom's mother, when in fact it was one of his friends who was in her thirties. That was a potentially life threatening scenario but somehow I'm here to tell the tale :nerdy:

Zigs, Daniel W, S-H and 1 other person like this.