Entryway

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by nicnatros, Apr 27, 2013.

1. nicnatros

nicnatros New Seed

Hello everyone,
    I have a somewhat unique vaulted ceiling in my entryway. I have a feeling that this space could actually make a nice impression. I just can't figure out how. The paint colors on the first floor will not be staying as they are. The color on the second floor will either stay or be another very neutral color as it's a difficult place to paint. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for making the vast wall space less boring.

[​IMG]

( photo / image / picture from nicnatros's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from nicnatros's Garden )

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How about some shaped mirrors, tapestries or colourful paintings to give the space some interest? I'd also put some plants on the 'shelves' under the window and banister, however, I think they may have to be silk ones as they look like awkward places to try watering.

3. nicnatros

nicnatros New Seed

Thank you for the reply! I think real plants would look nice on the two shelves but you are right that it's a hard place to reach. I don't care for the fake look of silk plants. I like the mirror idea but i think it might not add enough interest. We are trying to avoid the dated look of family pictures on the wall going up the stairs. Lean towards slight modern tastes. I am an avid amateur photographer and i have some photos that would look nice here in a large size frame. This was once an idea of ours although i was worried about colors in different photos fighting with each other. I could do black and whites only but it might leave this space too colorless still.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

How about painting the stair wall a very interesting color, perhaps a rosy red, or a peach color--something welcoming, but eye-catching?
    Then, as Eileen suggested, a tapestry to hang on the opposite wall, one that picks up the color of the stair wall. A "tapestry" can easily be made from lengths of fabric with a backing--about an hour on the sewing machine, and a dowel rod at the top for hanging. Or a quilt?
    Painting a stair wall is easier than it seems. You can rent a scaffolding that will rest on the floor, and also on the landing (one support of the scaffolding is very high, the other is very short, so it makes an even surface to work from. Get a extension for your paint roller, and work off the scaffolding. Edging can be done with a sponge painter, although I find it easier to do with a sash brush on an extender.

Advertisement
  5. nicnatros

nicnatros New Seed

Thanks for the suggestion. I am afraid to repaint this every couple years as styles change.

6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Styles may change, but what you like probably doesn't. As long as you stay away from the "trendy" colors (I have no idea what they are!) and choose something you like, the paint job should last for years.
    Some folks follow fashions, some set fashions. Be a fashion-setter!

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Always, always, always decorate your home the way you like it not in the 'today' style or color!!

You could put real plants up there if you choose ones that like it dry. Houseplants that love dry soil
    There are others, check out a local garden center for them.
    One of the houseplant watering hose/wand systems would be useful for watering when needed.

8. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I would put some interesting paintings along the staircase wall going up, and a few silk plants on the plant shelves, along with perhaps a large statue or sculpture of some kind. The first thing visitors see entering your home is also the first impression they get, you want it to be a good one. A pretty entry rug would be nice also.

9. InteriorMania

InteriorMania New Seed

Shaped Mirrors is a good idea ..