Evil Mold.........

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Phoenix, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix New Seed

Hi everyone....

Having a mega problem with Mold in my apartment.
    I had the Bathroom decorted about 4 months ago and it needs doing again!

For some reason I'm getting Black/Grey "Ghost" patches on the paper, Its not on top of paper looks like it's inside it.

The paper on the wall is proper Bathroom paper and I ALWAYS have the window open!

Dunno what to do I need to redecorate but it will come bk >.<

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sounds as though the wallpaper needs to come off Pheonix. You'll then have to treat the wall underneath with a special anti-mould product - your local DIY store should be able to advise you on what's best. I'd check out your guttering and roof outside to make sure there are no slow leeks getting into the room.

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

It sounds like the wallpaper needs to come down to me too. Treating is an obvious option, but if it's bad in the drywall(if you have drywall), it might be an option to replace the drywall in the moldy areas after determining/fixing the probable cause, otherwise it'll just be back.

Additional venting in the room might be helpful too--but I don't know if this is the problem.

5. marine683

marine683 Seedling

I had a similar problem to this in an apartment I was living in.

They didn't replace the drywall, they just treated it with bleach and then a formal wall mold treatment and it came back within 6 months.

You really need to stab this problem in the backside and I'd take every step necessary including replacing the dryawall.

Check the fan/ventilation system to prevent future occurences as well.

That's my advice to ya, Good Luck!

Advertisement
  6. PinkSun

PinkSun Seedling

If it keeps coming back, replacing the drywall is your best bet. You can have it replaced with something called green board that is water proof and should be more resistant to mold. I believe that's what my sister did in her bathroom when she was having problems with it.

7. Undermount Kitchen Sinks

Undermount Kitchen Sinks New Seed

Get rid of the wallpaper...and here are causes of mildew and molds: poor air circulation, low or non-existent lighting, warm and humid temperature.

For cleaning, you can use water and a solution of bleach,scrub bathroom shower walls,doors, etc with a stiff brush. :stew1:

Kitchen Sinks