Ewe ..they are yucky!!! What is it?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by KK Ng, Mar 31, 2014.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

My neighbor have a few of the Bucida Tree and he is having some pest invasion problem.

[​IMG]
    A Bucida Tree ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

We tried looking for the adult pest but none was around and according to him the adult pest looks like snail without shell. Anyway there were quite a few of these on the under side of the leaves and branches with lots of foliage.

[​IMG]
    The culprits ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    yucky!!! ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

To me they are more like eggs cases and they were pinkish jelly like inside. They are about 2cm or ¾ in long and about ½ cm or ¼ in wide. According to him this is the second time his bucida trees were infected by this thing. The first time the plants lost almost all their leaf and luckily they recovered.

Any idea what it is?

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have never seen anything like that but that tree is a beauty. I searched it briefly and found no information about the bug or egg mass but learned about the tree.

Lovely. Do they grow wild there?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can't find a photograph like the ones you have posted. However the Black-olive Caterpillar or Bungee Caterpillar (Garella nilotica) is known to appear early in May so it might be egg cases of this moth that are on the trees.
    Sorry I can't be of more help to you and your neighbour.

Edited to say that I found this picture of an egg case of the Black Olive moth.

[​IMG]

I think it looks a lot like your photographs don't you?

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Doesn't look like anything I have ever seen, either, but I would spray the whole tree especially under the leaves with a soap and water mix.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Barb, the tree is not native here and hence they do not grow wild here.

Eileen, if it is different from the picture you posted. The culprit has a fine line down it's middle and not as furry. Thank you for your input.

Carolyn he is going to follow your suggestion, thanks.

7. waretrop

KK, You should take one of those leaves and put it in a jar and see what it does. The more knowledge you have about it, will be good for your future, if it appears especially on one of your trees.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It kind of reminds me of scale. I am not sure how it travels or what a mature insect looks like, but it has to come from somewhere. Maybe, also pick as many of them off as you can. scale is a sucking insect and will suck the life right out of the tree. I had a small plant one time that I didn't notice it came from the store with it on it and it died. As I was looking at it closely, I found them. since they didn't move I thought they were little knots on the stem. silly me. What a waste of money.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Barb, we did that yesterday and so far nothing had emerge from it.

Carolyn, I think you nailed it, I googled it and oyster shell scale fit the description and he confirmed it. A very big THANK YOU from him to you.
    This is the first time for me too and I think my chili plant is also being attack by scale. Thanks Carolyn.

10. waretrop

Had to search Oystershell Scale. They are large for scale. They are really yucky...

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, You are very welcome... Totally was a shot in the dark, but that was just what they reminded me of. I am glad you narrowed it down to a specific, though. Scale is nasty. I hope his tree and your chili plant recovers.