Excessive Amounts of Lead Found in Reusable Grocery Bags

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by bunkie, Apr 30, 2013.

1. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

And why would they really need lead in those cloth bags ? Or the heavy duty plastic ones ? Nothing is as good as they make it out to be.

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I make reusable shopping bags out of new material and sell them at the mini market and to family, friends and neighbors. They are washable and last longer than those fiber ones you buy in the store. The finished size comes out about 17 inches high or deep and 12 to 14 inches by 4 to 5 inches. Everyone says it's a good size though some wanted them 17x 5 and only 12 inches deep. Handles are sewed into bottom seams and all seams are tripled sewed and zigzagged to prevent raveling. I would not buy those ones from the store.

dooley

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I use "green" bags from the local Habitat for Humanity, and from our local grocery. They are fairly sturdy, and I'd never thought about lead content or other problems with them.
    However, I do have one of Dooley's bags, and I can attest to the strength, durability, and overall attractiveness of her bags. I'll take one of Dooley's bags over a "green" bag any day!

Advertisement
  5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Most of those fiber ones are not too strong, and they are too big. I have some plastic ones I got for $1 locally, and they are nice. I have no idea if they have lead in them. I have a website with a pattern to make them out of plastic feed sacks which I want to try.

I am sure Dooley's homemade ones are far superior to the store boughten ones too... I also have some real cloth totes, but I don't often remember to use them.

6. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Well that settles it, I'm gonna quit eating those bags! ;)

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I also bring my laundry baskets.One place we go to Aldi you bag your own.But Why the need for lead in bags???

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The bags they tested were not cloth, they focused on the non-woven polypropylene. Lead makes a product stronger and last longer. I would think that if you put your produce in a plastic or paper bag before putting it into one of the shopping bags there wouldn't be any residue on your food.

And like rockhound says, don't eat the bag.

Have you had your garden/yard soil checked lately? Lead is a naturally occurring element and ranges from 50 parts per million (ppm) and 400 ppm in soil depending on where you live. Plus lead could have also been added to your soil by exhaust fumes before they removed lead from gasoline, lead paint dust from the remodeling or removal of older homes, lead pipes left in the ground after removing an older home, lead particles in the air attach to dust and fly where the wind takes them, then when it rains they fall to the ground where ever they are.

A shopping bag used once a week or so sounds tame compared to what we expose ourselves too every time we play in the dirt. ;)

fatbaldguy likes this.
  9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup Toni I agree with you. We would never leave our homes if we knew all the things that we expose ourselves to everyday. Oh ya :eek: our homes can be one of the things that exposes us to contaminates everyday. :rolleyes: Well I for one will stop eating those bag's like rockhound. :D

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

LOL! :D

The reason for the concern of lead in the bags was cause some people were going to plant potatoes and other veggies in dirt in the bags.