Extend the Life of Cut Flowers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Garima, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Garima

Garima New Seed

Always use a clean container for cut flower arrangements. Previously used vases may contain bacteria that will quickly multiply and block the water-conducting tubes of the flower stems. Remove foliage below the water line. Foliage decaying in the water hastens the demise of the flowers by contributing to the bacterial buildup.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I totally agree and do this if I ever have cut flowers in the house.

WELCOME to our forums Garima and I hope you'll have many more tips for us. :-D

4. sgmgarden

sgmgarden In Flower

What a great tip Garima :) I will need to try this. Oh and a big welcome to the forum!

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thank you for the tips. I bleach the vases before I put them away after use. I also make sure the flower stems have a crisp, fresh, slanted cut. Every day I refresh the water and add one drop of bleach with the water.

Welcome to The worlds largest and best collection of gardeners of all kinds. :D :D

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I also add 7-up or a clear pop of some kind instead of trying to find commercial cut flower food for them.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Really? This works? Wow, I've never heard of that!

Is it the carbonation that helps the flowers?

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

"Is it the carbonation that helps the flowers?"

No I usually add flat pop to the water. It is the sugar and preservative that inhibits bacteria from growing.

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Well, you learn something new every day!

Though your explanation does beg the question: How come you even HAVE flat soda in your house? ;)

When my kids lived at home, soda never stayed around long enough to GET flat! And now that they're gone, I have no need to keep soda in the house! 8)

Seriously though, that's a really good tip. I don't have cut flowers in the house all the time, but occasionally I'll pick some up at the grocery because my garden isn't mature enough yet to produce them routinely for me. But that's my goal, to be able to go out and gather flowers from my garden once every few days, so you can be sure I'll be keeping a bottle of flat soda in my pantry then!

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I don't like soda pop. I don't try to keep it on hand, but if it is there I will use it otherwise I will leave the lid off and "wa-laa" by the next morning it is miraculously flat. It is verrry easy to make. :rolleyes: If you don't have flat pop, fresh will do I am sure. as soon as you add it to the water most of the carbonation leaves.