FaceBook challenges

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by kuntrygal, Feb 26, 2010.

1. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I am new to FB...can anyone tell me why... that when you log in you never see the same thing twice????? It is frustrating...you go to look for your friends and some are there, but not all of them, and...there are more comments from someone elses FB, just because they are my friend!!! I have looked in the 'help discussions' but nothing helps. Oh and what the heck is all the farm animals junk about? I just want to connect with old friends! I know I am not the only one that has issues with FB!

2. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi Kuntrygal.
    All the farm animal junk drives me nuts too, but you can hide those notifications so they don't appear on your page. The next time you log on, take a moment to go down your page and if you find something you don't like you can hide it by clicking on the "Hide" button on the right side of the post.

3. Newfpaws

Newfpaws Seedling

Kuntrygal - When I first started on FB those things drove me crazy too. What I did was turn my chat option to be offline and then I took a couple of days and just messed with it to figure it out. Everytime I asked a question somewhere I got three diff answers. Just mess with it. You can't hurt much. I don't even use it that much anymore because of all the applications (Pictures) that people do. It's a pain to keep hiding stuff. It works but new ones just come up. I use the email and play a couple games and that's about it. Good luck!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I forgot to add that YOU control what appears on your page and what others can see of yours. You might want to take a few minutes to go through your account and privacy settings found top right on your news feed page.

Advertisement
  5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I have messed around with it and understand it a bit better. The thing that really ticks me is the friends list. It was showing 18 and now 10 and there are actually 48. I don't understand why it isn't the same each time you log on!

6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

KG, the friends you can see depends on which page you are on too. When you log into the Home page, the left column shows some of your friends who are currently online. But when you log into your Profile page, the column shows a random selection of your friends so it changes often. You can see all your friends by clicking where it says "Show all" or by clicking the icon at the top of the Home page next to where it says Newsfeed.

Hope that's helpful and not more confusing.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Actually that does make sense DB...my daughter logged in as me to see what was going on...but she was on her iphone...so she will fix 'something' tomorrow!!! All this tech stuff is too much for my pea sized brain!! :rolleyes:

But when you check 'see all' they should all be there...right?...whether they are currently logged in or not?

I am going nitey-nite! I have had a workout of the mind! :D

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Yes, KG, when you click See All, you should see all your friends when you're on your Profile page. When you're on the Home page, when you click See All, you'll see all who are online. Don't give up, you'll get it soon enough.... then they'll change something and you'll get mad like everyone else!

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

OK...I have to disagree! When I log in and click 'See All' it is the same friends pictures everytime. When I click profile and 'See All' it is a totally different group of friends everytime with the exception of DD and Glendann who are on both pages! :-? :rolleyes: And DD noted that messages are totally different on the two. Oh well :scheming:

10. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I had to check. I've got several lists of friends with varied access to my profile, since quite a few are VR-friends that i "know" well but not that well.

Anyways, when I'm on my profile and click "see all" all of my friends and the pages I'm a fan of show up.

11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

It is very confusing to say the least. And the fact that you can't send an email or contact anyone about the problems, really stinks! Also FB continually changes pages. Makes me want to :sete_015: someone!

12. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

KG...you can have the same 6-12 people show up under friends every time you log in if you used the edit feature (it is the icon that looks like a pencil directly across from the word Friends. When you click on that icon a box comes up that say "Always show these friends and there is a drop down menu...you can select 6-12 friends. Then you type their name in the box, repeat for up to 12 friends. I have the 12 people I contact most often.

Facebook is confusing because they are always changing things. :rolleyes:

13. louise

louise New Seed

Facebook worries me as much as it frustrates me :( I don't like the idea of having all my pictures online, and the fact that people can put up pictures of me without me even knowing if they never tag me.

Yet I still use it; it is a good way to keep in touch with old friends...