Fall migration

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by kaseylib, Sep 13, 2009.

1. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

It's been over 24 hours since I've seen a hummingbird at any of my feeders. They always leave at about this time each year, and I dread the day. All of you in the southern U.S. can now look forward to all of our northern birds heading your way for the winter months. Take good care of them for us til next spring!!!

Farmer's Almanac says we're in for a long, cold, snowy winter here. Our summer was cooler than normal so I plan to enjoy the last few warm days to the fullest extent.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I can only hope that some of the hummers show up in my yard and if one does it will be treated like royalty since they are so scarce here.

I saw the first migrating Monarch butterfly last week. Some years we see hundreds, then some we see only a very few.

Our winter is supposed to be much warmer than usual. Warmer winter I can put up with, I just hope it isn't going to be dryer too.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

WWEll KL, I know it'sa sad day for you...but they'll be back. You are right to enjoy the last warm and sunny days while they last.
    The Almanac's forecast made me shivver a little....BURRRRRRRRRRRR.

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

So sad that Texas isn't going to have a colder winter. Wait...what am I talking about?? It never is cold here in winter. :( Wish we would have snow, cold and more snow!

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I rescued my hummingbird feeders from the morning glory vines yesterday and gave them a good cleaning and filled them. It was pouring rain and those poor little hummingbirds were out trying to eat out of the few morning glories that are left. I've been thinning out the vines and removing dead ones so there was some space under the eaves to hang the feeders. I hope they find them soon. It's not raining right now but it isn't sunny either. dooley

7. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I love the snow too, and can't imagine a winter without it. Unfortunately, Wisconsin has a lot of "in between" weather...not cold or snowy enough to be out snowmobiling, and not warm enough to be enjoying the outside. I guess the grass is always greener (or whiter!) on the other side!!

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

The hummingbird found the feeder. Two of them found it so it's a good thing there are two feeders. Unfortunately the two feeders are hanging about ten feet apart in sight of each other. So, the two little birds are so busy chasing each other in circles I don't know how they have time to eat at either feeder. dooley

9. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

Glad to know they've found your feeder! They fight around my feeders too...fun to watch.