Favorite Pickle Recipes?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Mountain Juggalo, May 19, 2007.

1. Mountain Juggalo

Mountain Juggalo New Seed

Ok everyone what is your Favorite pickle recipes I will be back and post mine.

2. Loading...

3. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I don't make pickles but wish I had the recipe for the mustard pickles that my grandma made when I was a kid. They were the best.

4. GardenFanantic

GardenFanantic Seedling

Which recipe did she use?
    One of these?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    MUSTARD PICKLES

Cucumbers
    Cauliflower
    Pickling onions
    1/3 bottle dry mustard
    2 tbsp. turmeric
    1 c. flour
    2 c. sugar
    1 qt. vinegar
    1 bottle pickling spice (put spice in nylon bag)

Soak cucumbers whole in salt water overnight. Next morning slice cucumbers, break cauliflower into pieces and add pickling onions with ends cut off and skins off outside. Add sugar and vinegar to pan of cucumbers. Add water to cover all. Add pickling spice bag.
    Bring to boil and boil until cucumbers are tender. Dip out some of the juice to make paste of flour, dry mustard and turmeric. Add to pickles and cook until thick. You need to keep tasting. You may need to add more sugar or vinegar to your taste and maybe need to add more turmeric for color. Put in hot jars and seal.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    MUSTARD PICKLES

1 lg. head cauliflower, broken into flowerets
    1 qt. sm. pickling cucumbers, or 1 qt. sliced cucumbers
    1 qt. sm. white onions, peeled
    2 red peppers, sliced
    1 c. salt
    1/4 c. dry mustard
    1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    Water
    1 qt. white vinegar
    1/2 tsp. celery seed
    2 tsp. mustard seed
    1 tsp. each whole cloves and allspice
    1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. ground turmeric

Arrange vegetables in layers in large bowl or enamel preserving kettle, sprinkling each layer with salt. Let stand overnight. Drain. Mix mustard and sugar in large preserving kettle. Add 1 cup water, vinegar, and seeds. Add cloves and allspice, tied in cheese cloth bag. Bring to a boil.
    Add vegetables and bring to a boil again. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Mix flour and turmeric into a paste with a little cold water. Add to pickles and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove spice bag. Pack pickles into hot sterilized jars and seal. Makes 4 or 5 pints.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    MUSTARD PICKLES

2 lb. cucumbers, diced or sliced
    1 lb. onion, diced or sliced
    1/2 c. pickling salt
    Apple cider vinegar
    Approximately 9 c. sugar
    1 hot pepper
    2 tbsp. dry mustard
    3 tbsp. flour
    3 tbsp. turmeric

Cover cucumbers with enough water to cover in an enamel or glass pan. Add salt and let stand overnight.
    In the morning, drain off salt water, put in onions and fill with apple cider vinegar (just cover cucumber and onions). Add sugar to suit taste, approximately 9 cups. Cut one hot pepper very fine. Add to cucumbers and onions. Add mustard. Let boil 5 minutes.
    Mix enough water with flour and turmeric to make a smooth thick liquid. Stir it into pickles. Put in hot jars and seal. Place in water bath for 5 minutes. Start timing when water returns to a boil. Makes 4-6 pints.

5. foodLover

foodLover New Seed

Never made a pickle recipe, but the ones listed so far sounds good.

Advertisement
  6. Mountain Juggalo

Mountain Juggalo New Seed

I'm gonna try this recipe when my peppers grow up.

5-Star Pickled Eggs with Jalapenos, Habaneros and Tabasco.

3 doz hard-boiled eggs (peeled)
    1 qt Heinz Distilled White Vinegar
    1 x onion (sliced)
    1 tbl mustard seed
    1 tbl dill seed
    1 tbl red pepper seed
    1 tbl black pepper or peppercorns
    6 x cloves of fresh garlic
    1 jar (16 oz.) jalapeno peppers with juice
    1 jar (16 oz.) habanero peppers with juice
    10 dsh Tabasco sauce

Method :

* Place all the ingredients except the hard-boiled eggs in a covered pot and boil for 15 minutes. Place the hard-boiled eggs in a glass jar and cover them with hot pickling mixture until the eggs are completely covered. If there is not enough vinegar, you may add some hot water to the vinegar solution. Marinate the eggs in this solution, in the refrigerator, for 7 days before serving. The longer they marinate, the more robust the flavor!

7. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

my dumb question:

For dill pickles, which part of the dill do I use? The leaves or the seeds?

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

My dill pickle recipe had the leaves in it, 'dill heads' it called them.

If you like sweet pickles, this one came out pretty good:

Sweet Pickles Sticks
    (makes 3 pints)

9 med. cucumbers
    6 c. boiling water
    2 1/3 c. vinegar
    2 1/4 c. sugar
    2 T. salt
    1 T. celery seeds
    3 1/4 t. turmeric
    3/4 t. mustard seeds

Choose fresh cucumber about 4 1/2 inches long. Wash and cut them into sticks. Pour boiling water over and let stand overnight. Next day, drain and pack solidly into clean jars. Combine remaining ingredients and boil for 5 inutes, then pout hot liquid over the cucumbers in the jars. Place cap on jar, screw down hand tight and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

I have a good bread-and-butter one too, but am not sure where it is right now.

9. Neshane

Neshane New Seed

I would like a recipe for freezer pickles, I've eaten them but never made them.

10. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

Bar B Q Sweet Pickles

This was my mothers recipe and they are really, really good. Well worth the time and effort to make.

1 gallon of cucumbers sliced about 1/8th inch thick. Use 1 inch diameter cucumbers. Soak in salt water using a large handful of pickeling salt. (No iodized salt) Be sure that the pickles are covered with water. Weigh down lightly if necessary.

On the fourth day, drain, boil for 10 min. in 4 tablespoons alum and enough water to cover. Drain. Boil 10 min. in 1 tablespoon powdered ginger and enough water to cover. Drain.

Make a syrup of 6 cups sugar, 1 qt. vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of stick cinnamon (broken) 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves, and 2 teaspoons of celery seeds.

Add cucumbers and boil for 1/2 hour. Put pickles in pint jars and add enough syrup so that jar is 3/4 full of syrup. Seal in sterilized jars. Makes 5 - 6 pints.
    The pickles will be nice and crisp with a sweet taste. I like them best on sloppy joe sandwiches and chicken sandwiches.

11. Uncle Jabba

Uncle Jabba New Seed

Freezer pickles

Hello all:

Here is a recipe that my Grandma always makes. She had cooked for years and years at a couple of different nursing homes and used this recipe. She said the local farmers used to drop off produce and to use up all that they had at times they would make these up and freeze them. The amazing thing is that they stay crunchy even after being frozen.

Grandma Jo's Pickles:

7 cups cucumbers, sliced thin
    2 large onions, sliced thin
    2 large bell peppers (red, green, yellow... pick your favorite)
    1 Tablespoon kosher salt
    1 Tablespoon Celery seed
    2 Cups sugar
    1 cup white vinegar

Procedure
    Boil and cool salt, celery seed, sugar and vinegar. Once cool pour vinegar mixture over pickles, onions and peppers, and let stand for one hour, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate for 12-hours before using. These will keep in the refrigerator or may be frozen in small containers or freezer bags. They stay crisp even after freezing.

These pickles are somewhat sweet, but not too sweet. Several friends of mine who say they do not like sweet pickles will eat these. TimmyLaz and I made a huge batch of these two summers ago and I just used my last bag of them a couple of weeks ago. When we made them that time we split the batch and put fresh hot peppers in, I think both Jalapeno and Banana peppers. They were great.

Seeya,

Uncle Jabba

12. Uncle Jabba

Uncle Jabba New Seed

We used to get Tony Packo's pickles up in Ohio they were great and nice and spicey. This is the same Tony Packo's as mentioned by Klinger (sp?) on M.A.S.H. its a real place.

Here is a recipe I founds online I am going to try to use to make swomething similar to Packo's sweet and hot. But I am going to start from scratch not with store bought dills. I will also can these in Mason Jars & process with a water batch for storeage.

these were called Texas Christmas Pickles
    INGREDIENTS
    1 gallon dill pickles
    1 (5 ounce) bottle hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢)
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 (5 pound) bag of white sugar
    DIRECTIONS
    Drain the brine from the pickles and discard. Slice pickles lengthwise, and return them to the jar. Pour in the hot pepper sauce, and add the garlic. Pour in about 1/3 of the sugar. Close the lid tightly. Gently tip the jar back and forth several times to allow everything to mix well. Leave out on the counter at room temperature for about 1 week.
    During the week, add more sugar as the sugar in the jar dissolves. Gently tip the jar back and forth to mix. Continue the process throughout the week, until you have used up all of the sugar. When all of the sugar has been absorbed, pickles will be dark green and crispy. Transfer pickles to smaller sterile jars, and divide syrup between jars. Seal with lids and rings. Store in the refrigerator, and consume within one month.
    Note

You can also use this same process with jalapeno peppers, just omit the hot pepper sauce and use the same process. The result is a sweet/hot jalapeno.

13. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I finished up my BarBQ sweet pickles yesterday. Ended up doing 3 gallons or 24 pints and 1/2 pints. We had sloppy joes for supper last night and we ate almost a full 1/2 pint for supper!

14. aprilconnett

aprilconnett Seedling

Help!!! NONE of my dill grew!! I just helped a friend out by picking her cucumbers so she didn't have to deal with them. I have 20 pounds of cucumbers and no dill. I know that I can buy dillweed at the store, but how much do I use in place of a "flower head" of dill?

15. simple cooker

simple cooker New Seed

Fried Pickles! Alhtough those mustard pickles sound really good too.

16. vtgardener

vtgardener New Seed

FRESH-PACK DILL PICKLES

9 lbs. (3-5") pickling cucumbers
    1-1/2 cups canning/pickling salt
    2 gals. water
    3/4 cup canning/pickling salt1/4 cup sugar
    9 cups water
    6 cups 5% acid strength cider vinegar
    2 tbsp. pickling spices
    24 heads fresh dill
    16 tsp. mustard seeds

- Wash cucumbers; cut 1/16" off blossom ends. Place in 3-gal. crock. Cover with brine made by adding 1-1/2 cup salt to 2 gals. water. Cover. Let stand 12-18 hours in cool place. Drain.

- Combine 3/4 cup salt, sugar, 9 cups water and vinegar in 5-qt. kettle. Tie pickling spices in cheesecloth bag; add to pot. Bring to boil. Let stand while you pack jars.

- Pack cucumbers into 8 sterilized hot quart jars. Place 3 dill heads and 2 tsp. mustard seeds in each jar. Reheat syrup to boiling; remove spice bag. Pour liquid over cucumbers, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.

- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boil. Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing types.

Makes 8 quarts.

CURRY PICKLES

16 (5") pickling cucumbers (3 lbs.)
    10 medium onions (1-1/2 lbs.)
    2 large sweet red peppers
    1/2 cup canning/pickling salt
    Cold water
    4 cups sugar
    2 cups 5% acid strength cider vinegar
    1 cup water
    3 tbsp. pickling spices
    2 tbsp. celery salt
    1 tsp. curry powder

- Pare cucumbers; cut 1/8" slice off both ends. Peel onions; seed peppers; cut all vegetables into thin slices; layer with salt in 1-gal. crock or glass bowl. Add enough cold water to cover. Let stand overnight, covered, in cool place. Drain well.

- Combine sugar, vinegar, 1 cup water, pickling spices (tied in cheesecloth bag), celery salt and vegetables in 4-qt. kettle. Bring to boil; cover; boil 15 minutes or until cucumbers are translucent. Stir in curry powder.

- Ladle into 6 sterilized hot pint jars, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust rims.

- Process in boiling water bath 5 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing type.

Makes 6 pints.

BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES

32 (4") pickling cucumbers (6 lbs.)
    1/2 cup canning/pickling salt
    1 qt. 5% acid strength vinegar
    4 cups sugar
    2 tbsp. mustard seeds
    1 tbsp. celery seeds
    1 tbsp. ground ginger
    1 tsp. ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp. white pepper
    2 qts. sliced onions (about 3 lbs.)

- Wash cucumbers; cut 1/8" slice off both ends. Slice crosswise, no more than 1/8" thick (the thinner, the better), making about 4 qts. Layer cucumber slices and salt in 1-gallon crock. Cover with ice cubes. Let stand 3 hours in refrigerator or until cucumbers are crisp and cold. Add more ice if needed. Drain well.

- Combine vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, ginger, turmeric and pepper in 8-qt. kettle. Bring mixture to a boil; boil 10 minutes. Add cucumbers and onions; bring back to a rolling boil.

- Immediately pack into 8 hot pint jars, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.

- Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes. Start to count processing time when water in canner returns to boiling. Remove jars and complete seals unless closures are self-sealing type. Makes 8 pints.