favorite water garden plants??

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by tinasam, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tinasam

tinasam New Seed

I'm looking for interesting water garden plants, something other than the standard water lilies. What are some of your favorite plants and why??

2. Loading...

3. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

If we are talking deep water plants then my fav. is Water Hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) which has beautiful orchid-like lavender flowers.
    Certainly very different from the water lilies - though I do love the water lilies too - they are gorgeous and the many colours.
    Then there is also the Pondweed my ultimate deepwater plant - Pondweed (Aponogeton distachyos) which has has dark green, strap-like leaves and bears scented white flowers with black anthers. And it is edible.

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oops :oops:
    I made a mistake - the Water Hyacinth is a floating plant.

Oh yes - I think I will go and look for my grandmother's recipe for Pondweed bredie (stew) and as soon as I find it I will post it. :stew1:

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have flag iris in the shallow margins of my pond - yellow and blue. Flowering reeds are lovely too and have small pink flowers.

6. wilsonmian

wilsonmian Seedling

water lillies are very charming i like them alot they give a soothing look to eyes.......