Favourtie pickling cuke?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Melody Mc., Apr 30, 2022.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

With the seed sourcing issues over the last few years, I ended up with some different varietis pickling cukes. I've always been a loyal National Pickling cuke person.

I have limited space this year, and had a bumper crop last year. I want to be a little more selective.

The one's I'm not very familiar with but have seed for are Chicago Pickling, Wisconsin SMR, and Homemade Pickles.

Any favourites and thoughts on these? Because I'm in a cold frame/greenhouse downy mildew is something I have to work at avoiding.

2. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have always grown the National Pickling Cucumbers too ! Can complain about success ! I really do not think there is enough difference in variety to worry about !

Melody Mc. likes this.
  3. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Melody Mc. I hope you find some good seeds!

I've been growing an heirloom bush type and saving seeds. I forget the name (so that probably wasn't very helpful!) I think it was just called "Bush Pickle". I grow it in a barrel planter.

4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thanks @Daniel W . I settles on trying the Wisconsin SMR and National Pickling cuke. I'm also trying some Straight 8s for the first time.

I sent a package of Bush Pickle seeds to my daughter for a planter on her deck. :) I'm happy to hear they were a good choice for her. Thanks!