February 2015 Gardening Wish List

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Frank, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

What is on your February 2015 gardening wish list / to-do list? :stew2: Are you still dealing with "garden-adverse" weather?

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We are getting a storm right now as I write this, 18-24". We shall see if the storm lives up to its hype.

My gardening wish list this year is for a vegetable garden. I haven't been able to grow vegies for many years due to the lack of sun, but this year, I have signed up for a plot in the local community garden. It has FULL sun!! I am pouring over seed catalogs, planning what I will grow, etc. Wish me luck!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

We are having a snow storm right now too, and it is a 'snow day' for the schools. There really isn't too much I can do until March except plan.
    This year, I am focusing on my veggie garden a little more seriously than I have in the past. I want to maximize the space I have and grow more of the things we eat a lot of, less of the not so popular things, and can/preserve the surplus.

5. Cayuga Morning

Netty, how big is your garden patch? I ask because I am trying to figure out if I can cope with a 20X20 plot at the community garden. It's been awhile since I grew vegies... I have been thinking if the plot is too big, I can just plant some of it in a cover clop like annual rye grass. What do you think?

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Even though we have pretty mild weather right now with temps averaging around 40-70F, it's still a bit too early to do much. I have started on some cleanup, like digging out a bunch of irises. But don't want to get too far ahead of myself since we typically have the chance of freezing temps even into March.
    I did set up a seed starting area and have a few little seedlings, so that will hold my interest for another month or so.
    I have decided to plant green chiles and those spicy bell peppers again this year, but in big containers. I have a few just sitting doing nothing, so I guess I should start planning on where to put them. And I suppose I could start filling them up with gardening soil and some of my compost.
    So in the meantime, I guess I'll just do a little clean-up at a time.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Cayuga, a 20X20 garden is a lot of work, but so worth it if you have the time and plan on preserving your bounty. I was taught that a 10X10 plot produced enough to feed a family of 4, I think you need to double that if you want to can.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have a few days of chilly, windy weather this week but going back into the 70's by this weekend. My February gardening plans are to buy bags of mulch and start on the front garden. There are some weeds still growing, dig up what I can, cut back stalks of perennials and start laying a thick layer of mulch over the whole garden. I have soaker hoses out there so a good cover of mulch will make them more efficient for watering this summer.

Next week I will start the stratification process on the 6 species of Milkweed that I got from hubby for Christmas.

And I need to finish what I started in the north bed last month, weeding and mulching but first the soaker hose there needs to be replaced.

Guess the warmer days will be busy.

9. Cayuga Morning

Netty---thank you. That is helpful. I will indeed invest in some seed to sow as a cover crop. The expectation at the community garden is that you plant your plot. I'll put a cover crop down in the unused parts of the plot.

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Good for you Cayuga. Gardening in a community garden sounds like fun just Guess getting to know the other people.
    I was headed to the greenhouse until the sky opened up. Raining really hard. Guess I'll go work on my garden map. Trying to figure out where to plant squash.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I hope we can get all three of the vegetable gardens tilled and composted before I need to start planting mid-month.
    I wish all my indoor seedlings thrive, so I'll get to try out new varieties from seeds sent from friends.
    I hope that the next time I pass a seed rack at a store, I pass and don't stop (this seed/planting thing is getting out of hand!).

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are 10 bags of mulch laying out in the front garden and 6 Scabiosa plants waiting for the temperature to hit 60 so I can get to work out there. The Sabiosa I already have in the ground have been blooming all Winter, now there will be more color out there.

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

As weird as this may sound, For February- I would like the ground to be covered with snow. It was, for a week here, but is melting fast. It is winter, I am dormant, not much for me to do in the landscaping industry . I would just as soon see white blankets covering the landscape to protect and add moisture when it melts. Spring is still a ways away.

14. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Snow snow and snow. Eagerly waiting for March so I can start my indoor veggie seeds.

15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We are having the oddest winter with no snow coverage. I'm worried that some of my marginal plants will not make it. I'm not going to jump the gun though and won't plant anything until our normal planting date of June 1st. I'll start my tomatoes and some new perennial seed the end of this month.

16. SueanneFl.

SueanneFl. New Seed

Found that bags of garden soil from miracle grow is working better than potting soil in my arrangement of concrete decorative pots on the side of my house. Does not hold the rain water as much.