Feeding A Candle.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I always have a scented candle burning in the Sitting Room,..when they burn near the bottom i just cut them up in small pieces then as the new candle starts going down i feed the small pieces to it.

The assorted pieces.
    IMG_5896.jpg

IMG_5897.jpg

IMG_5898.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an interesting and good idea.---Waste not, want not.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've never thought of doing that. I will from now on though. :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Its amazing how much is really wasted,..some candles burn the wick out when there is one third of a candle remaining,..the scent with the mixed left overs is very nice :rolleyes:

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Very interesting. Never thought about it myself but good idea.

I do tend to burn candles during the winter and usually burn a few decorative ones that are scented. I have noticed that some candles, on the inside, will burn down quite quickly whilst the outside wax doesn't burn at all. I've often wondered if there are different types of candle wax in a candle? Are there interior types of wax that burn quickly and/or are there types of wax that you use on the outside of a candle that burn more slowly?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

Great idea Philip :like:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Thanks Raddang :like:

===================================================================================

Islandlife,..i never thought about the inner and outer part of the candle being different,..some are a different color on the outside compared to the inside,..what i do notice is the thicker the candle the wick tends to burn down right to the end of the candle leaving most of the outside still intact,..all down to the heat being further away from the outside,..i use a glass which came with a good sized candle so any spill over remains in the glass and prolongs the life span of the candle,..adding the pieces from other candles gives me almost a full week extra.

9. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

That is a good tip Philip but Shhhhh! Don't tell Yankee Candles or they will sue you for reducing their sales :):):)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I remember, way back when in Hawaii watching candlemakers in the International Market making candles. They'd dip and dip them and then put them into different colours wax prior to carving and shaping them into really intricate looking candles.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Lol,.. Raddang,..Yankee Candles do have a great scent,..very expensive to buy though,.. the big ones do come in a jar that has a good lid and can be used for many things,..i buy the three inch wide scented ones from 'Melinera',..a bit of useless information about these candles,..they have an ASS Seal,..on the bottom,..Alu-Safety-Seal,:rolleyes:

======================================================================================
    Islandlife,..that's something i would enjoy watching as its something one doesn't come across very often,..we have a local Supermarket that sells some strange shaped candles,..the ones i didn't think sensible had two wicks for square ones and three wicks for triangular

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are different size wicks for different size and style of candles. The ones that burn down the center leaving wax along the sides have the wrong wick or at the very least they should have two or three wicks to get an even burn.
    I make votives and container candles but do have a form for pouring tapers and I have molds for decorative shaped candles.

13. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I have never tried to make candles but there are those around here who do as they are usually for sale at all the different Christmas Flea Markets and Festivals. I like burning them in winter - pine scent or cinnamon.

I have, from Saudi Arabia, some wonderful incense. No idea what the scent is but I sprinkle a bit of it (it looks like coffee grounds) onto aluminum foil that I put over one of the electric stove elements. I turn on the stove for a couple minutes and this stuff starts to slightly ignite. The smell is heavenly :)