Feeding the Birds.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Doghouse Riley, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

We encourage birds to visit our garden, but draw the line at wood pigeons, they make a hell of a mess and pinch most of the food. So I designed a ground feeder feeder that the small birds, dunnocks, sparrows, blue tits, great tits, wagtails, robins, starlings and blackbirds etc., could access, but the pigeons couldn't

Its a block of thick plywood with a bolt through it. The base of a wire pot mover with the castors removed. A big plastic saucer with a bolt hole in the middle. The wire cover off an old fan, the bottom of an old plastic waste paper basket and a steel tube fixed to the fan cover to fit over the bolt.

All the above birds can get under the cover onto the tray and have a clear view of possible preditors through the wires of the cover, when they are under it.

The squirrel's feeder is in the tub under the blue cover.

[​IMG]

I just pull the cover off to put the food in. The saucer can be removed for cleaning. Just a few mealworms left, but the starlings haven't been yet.

[​IMG]

We've also this little "house" I made on a pergola post. The rod across the front acts as a perch but also a barrier to the pigeons. We also have a couple of peanut butter feeders.

[​IMG]

We have a "resident" starling. He's here most days on his own, but can be joined by up to another dozen in the afternoon.
    He likes the peanut butter in this feeder, as do the blackbirds.

[​IMG]

Yesterday he was feeding from it when the other starlings were clearing what the other birds had left in the ground feeder. As I walked towards the French windows, all the starlings flew away, except that one. He carried on feeding but was watching me. When I walked right up to the window, he didn't panic, just hopped over the little wall into the azaleas to wait for me to go.

It's been too damp to sweep the patio.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sounds like spoiled rotten birds! As are ours !

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate you are such a handy chap. Those feeders and placements are simply inspired. Chapeau.
    Feeders on our lottie are always a problem due to the woodpeckers and the jackdaws. I have to take measures limiting who can dine at our feeders. I can never feed the birds as they ought to be because the spillage upon the ground and the smell of the seeds attract the rats and wood mice. Really difficult to keep them away, and of course setting traps is a no-no.

So then, I can only say that it is great seeing what you, Kildale and others on here can do with feeders. Of course Cayuga had her own remarkable problems with feeders though, doesn't she.