Fence, made from old washers....

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by desertflower, Jul 30, 2007.

1. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

This is the fence hubby and I put up in front of the avaries. It is made from old washing machines, closthes dryers, fridges and freezers.

[​IMG]

This is the gate I designed and made out of recycled lumber

[​IMG]

It was quite a chore doing this project. We had to dig a footing and foundation and we set the applances in concrete. Then we had to attach hardware cloth, with screws, to cover the entire structure. Then came the fun part..stucco... It was the first time either of us had done stucco but it turned out pretty good. We still have not painted it. The fence in the middle of the tall ones is also made from recycled lumber. The half wagon wheel came off of an old end table and the curvy wood on the top came from the desert. We didn't have trouble collecting old appliances. Several people were happy to have them hauled away from their property.

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

There is an old stove in the yard across from us that you could still have. They moved in and put the old stove out by the road and expected the trashmen to take it away. It isn't going to happen. You haul appliances unless you pay extra for a truck to come pick it up. Your fence is unique for sure. It looks good though. dooley

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh you and your hubby are certainly inventive!! I'd never have thought of using the materials you did to build a fence. It's great!! You've even got shelves on it for plants!!!!! :D

5. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

When I read the title of your post, I thought, oooooooo. k. But that is so cool looking! Is the hardware cloth pretty dense? I mean, so the stucco won't just flake off in the rain? (or Does it rain there?) DH did some building a couple of weeks ago, stucco over a combination of tarpaper and chicken wire. Amazing stuff!

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That fence turned out really neat desertflower! What are you going to fill those ledges with?

7. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Wow, who would have thought you could do that. Love it.

8. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

That's cool! What a creative way to build a wonderful and attractive fence.

9. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

Thanks everyone! I intended to fill the ledge with potted plants but it is so hot there the only thing to survive so far have been fake ones. This fence is the reason I started making hypertufa planters. I may find some cactus or something that would survive. The ledge on the backside is home to old metal junk, a cow skull some deer horns and horseshoes.

Yes, CP the concrete is on to stay and it has three layers.

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Very seriously cool idea for a structure for your fence - I love the gate you made too. I'm surprised the sheet metal of a washer would hold up to the weight of concrete that way - I suppose once it is set, it's a moot point as it would be the concrete holding up the metal?

Next time we need to build an Alamo or something, we'll have to remember old appliances...

11. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

Yes, it actually is probably pretty close to bomb proof. I am going to do some more stucco things. I think you could stucco almost anything. We did the sides first and then the top. The structure was not level because of the different heights of thing but we leveled it with nore concrete in places that were lower. In spaces that needed more fillind we stuffed styrofoam cardboard or what ever fit. Since it is completely enclosed, bugs and mice cn't take up residence there either. The left side of the gateway is two tall freezers. I had hubby leave them to where they can open instead of stuccoing over the doors. This is where I keep my bird and cat food and supplies. I will either paint the doors or possibly cover them with the old recycled wood. You should have seen the looks we recieved from passer-bys as we had all of the old appliances sitting in a row in the yard.

12. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Oh Man, when I saw this thread I didn't think it could POSSIBLY be washing machines. My money was on little metal washers strung up on something. What a GREAT surprise. Who'd a thunk it? This is Spectacular. :)

13. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Now that is just way cool!

14. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Dunno what to say! :eek: *picking my jaw up from the floor*

Fantastic? . . . Incredibly fantastic? . . .
    Amazingly, brilliantly, incredibly fantastic!!!
    :D *still not sure that's good enough*
    What a tremendous way to turn land-fill fodder into a really beautiful asset! :smt023
    And, I just LOVE the idea of using a couple of them for critter-proof storage units, too.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Perfect score!

15. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

Thanks everyone! I felt really good about keeping the junk out of the landfill also.

16. marine683

marine683 Seedling

I LOVE this fence! Amazing!