Fern Paradise.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Fern Paradise,..its what came to mind when i came across the area in the pictures below,..the location is atop a hill and was an observation post by locals keeping an eye out for Viking Raiders,..then it was used by the English Army when they invaded and occupied Ireland,..up to 1922 that is,..nobody could comfortably get through the briars for the past 94 years but in the past two weeks the Local Authority cleared a few paths through the area,..the walls you see drop about 12 foot below the ground level.

Oops,..no way to post the pictures?,..or delete this entry?.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

It could be me that isn't seeing things that should be there,..that are not there,..still no way to post a picture even in this post,..ok i give up lol,..i will post my entry in another site.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Are you getting an error message when uploading photos Philip?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Frank,..no kind of message or popup,..just' Post Reply' and' More Options',..the middle section is Blank.

If i click on 'More Options',..i get 'Reply to Thread',..then a 'Blank Section',..'Garden Photo',..then 'Preview'.

The same applies when i try to post a picture in the Thread 'My Garden and Beyond,..in 'Members Gallery'.

Henry Johnson likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I have come across this some years ago when i was Administrator in a site,..a Moderator with permissions when in the Moderators Control Panel or Administrators Control Panel,..clicked 'Not Allowed To Upload Images',..on a Members details,..it could be that simple here,..if luck will have it,..rather than something more complicated.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Sorted out the problem,..gremlins in the works.

There are two facing walls below the ground level,..as mentioned they are approx 12 foot below the ground level,..i have no idea what the original structure looked like,..the far wall can be seen here.
    IMG_5458.jpg

Down between the two walls is where all the Harts Tongue Ferns thrived.
    IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

Henry Johnson, 2ofus and eileen like this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There's something about ferns that always make me think of prehistoric times. It's probably because they're one of the most ancient plant forms that survive until the present day.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Very true Eileen,..areas that have not being used by humans,..they tend to give that wild tropical appearance,..i was very pleased to get to see the area in case there are any changes.

Of course her nibs enjoyed sniffing around the Foxes Den.
    IMG_5447.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5448.jpg

Henry Johnson, eileen and 2ofus like this.
  10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I quite like ferns, used to have them but for years I stopped growing them. Not sure why but just didn't get around to growing them. I recently bought (for inside) a good old Boston Fern and two days ago bought a Maidenhair. They're quite nice inside.

Outside we have lots of varieties of wild fern (which I maybe why I wasn't too concerned with growing them myself) but I really like your "Hart's Tongue" (? I think that is what it is) and am looking for one or two for the garden here. They'd definitely add a nice contrast to what I have growing now.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Islandlife,..i envy you with your Boston Fern,..its a spectacular looking plant,..i would rate it the top best looking Fern,..i also like your other choice,..the Maidenhair Fern,..i only have one Fern indoors and that is a recent addition to the house plants and an experiment as i have it in a Terrarium.

Like you i have many Ferns growing outside,..all taken from the wild and very nice to use to fill a space that has being cleared of its recent occupant,..the Harts Tongue Fern and the Shuttlecock Fern are the two i keep outside,..both have nice shapes.

Henry Johnson and Islandlife like this.