Filling In A Shady Spot

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Jun 5, 2015.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

There's a spot between/under the Confederate Star Jasmine and the Papyrus that has been bugging me.

before.jpg

I've been racking my brain thinking of what would go good there. I want something colorful, but not necessarily flowers. Hmmm.... what would work... I know... Caladiums! But wait, they may not survive my winters. Hmmmm... I know... put them in a pot and bury it, then lift it out to overwinter. But wait, I'd have to keep dirt/debris from filling up the hole. Hmmm... I know... I'll bury a slightly larger pot that can stay in the ground and all I have do is lift out the one with plants. I even had the pots on hand, those long window-box types. Bingo!
    I have a big pot of Caladiums I keep on the front porch and it's about due to be thinned out but it's not really the right time and it's looking so good right now. Hmmmm... I know... I'll go check out the half off sale at the big nursery. I found 4 different colors... $1 each! Bingo!
    So, I get the hole dug, Caladiums planted. And it still looked a little naked. Needs more, maybe ground cover, but that can get out of control. Hmmm... I know... I'll go check out that other nursery, maybe they're having a sale too. Yep... not half off, but a sale is a sale. So I decided to get some low-growing flowering plants. I picked up some Ajuga (beautiful shiny bronze foliage), Portulaca (because it sprawls and will survive my winter), Sedum (because they were so cute) and a yellow Baby Sun Rose (they trail but don't take over, plus I have some red ones to use).
    after.jpg
    Bingo! Can't wait to see how it fills in.

Jewell, Cayuga Morning, 2ofus and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

:chuckle:cherylad...This is so funny! I really enjoyed hearing your thought process. I go through the same thing "i can do this, then i can do that, o but if i do that, this is going to happen etc etc.". Sometimes it takes me a few days to get through the thought process...or maybe a month:smt005so i am impressed about how quickly you were able to come to a resolution. I think it is going to look great...this little hidden garden within a garden. Maybe you can send us a photo when things get filled out?

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I enjoyed reading your post too and it made me smile. You sounded so like me when I'm thinking what to do in the garden. What a pity you don't live closer as I could have sent you some of my Aguga. It spreads and creates a lovely carpet when it flowers. I like what you've done with the plants you got and, as Vitrsna says, it a new little garden within a garden. Well done!!

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Flower gardeners must be the same everywhere. I have done the same thing, stand and stare at what I want changed or added and then start adding or subtracting plants that would work. Sometimes mine doesn't work out but plants are pretty forgiving of being shuffled around.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Thanks everyone! Vitrsna... once I have a plan, I can't stop or do anything else until it's completed.
    :chuckle:
    Eileen... This is my first time planting Aguga, I sure hope they like it there. The foliage is sooooo pretty.
    2ofus... Hopefully I chose the right plants for this area, but if not, at least they were cheap and easily replaceable.
    :chuckle:

2ofus and vitrsna like this.
  7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Thanks, Cheryl, for a good chuckle on your opening post of this thread. . .
    The end result of your efforts/thinking is going to look good!
    Hank

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, you've done it again--created a lovely spot. You just hate to see bare earth, don't you? Please post photos when it fills in.

9. cherylad

Jane... I really don't have any total shady spots, so it was fun looking for stuff to put under there... and yes... bare earth has no business in my yard. :chuckle:

10. vitrsna

vitrsna Seedling

Vitrsna... once I have a plan, I can't stop or do anything else until it's completed. (Cheryl said)
    Yes, i am the same way...my problem is deciding on a "plan"...it takes me forever:rolleyes:. I would ask for help on the forum, but all of my decisions are based on what is beneficial for the butterflies and other nectar-lovers and sometimes that complicates things a bit. If i had tons of garden space it wouldn't be a problem, but my space is limited...so i think and plan and think some more.