Finally It Is On The Table! Yum!!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by KK Ng, Jul 27, 2021.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Yes finally got to eat the pineapple that I posted in April and it was yummy. This one is from the plant that is on the ground.

[​IMG]
    Finally after 2 years + ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    2.5 kg :) ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    A delicious juicy pineapple ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

It was delicious!!! It take us 3 sittings to finish it as a desert after each meal.

Yum! :)

Oh ya the 1 in the pot was about 2 kg and we had it about a month ago. Sorry I was too anxious to sink my teeth into it and forgot to take any photos! :)

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

that is great KK. What an accomplishment.
    Seeing that pineapple brings back good memories of my time in Malaysia.
    BTW KK, how is the rest of your gardening coming along?
    Have you gotten those monkeys sorted?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That looks great well done, we have pineapple and other fruits with our cereal every day.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

You are lucky it survived !

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

KK Read the forum ! Look at recipes and cooking !

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you Sjoerd, it is a once in 2 years treat from my mini farm :) Glad it can bring back memories for you.
    The rest of the gardening is as usual except the planting rate is faster so we can reduce the time of having to go to the supermart at a time like this. We already had our 2 doses of vaccine and we only go out when it is absolutely necessary, it is very bad here :(
    Yes the monkeys problem is solved, I had the whole garden perimeter electrified.

Thanks Logan.

Thanks Mart, I make sure of it with electric fencing surrounding my mini farm :)
    The recipe is posted.

8. SeanLI

SeanLI Seedling

Look delicious.

I have never been able to enjoy tropical fruit properly since a trip to Coasta Rica a few decades ago.

Tasting proper fruit freshly picked, when ripe, has ruined me for fruit.

Our "fruit" is picked weeks early and shipped thousands of miles to "ripen" en route :-(

I still dream of perfectly ripe, just picked mangoes, bananas, pineapples, melons, etc.

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks SeanLi.

I can say the same for me when it comes to temperate fruits. I never knew strawberries can be so sweet and yummy until I had the opportunity to pick them and eat them straight away when I was in Luxembourg about 6 years ago. Cherries fresh from the trees not forgetting peaches, plums ... Yes I missed them all :)

10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I hate buying exotic fruit for the same reason as you guys. Having grown up in Africa and now living in Europe, when the wife comes back with a pineapple or mango, I tell her without even tasting them that they are disgusting. Raspberries must be my favourite fruit at the moment.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I don't write them all off but just be selective when buying them. I only buy like plum, peaches, pears, etc and hope for the best :) no not strawberries. I do get some nice one but not as nice as those I get during my travels.

When I was in Paris we bought a pineapple from an Asian grocer for a dinner party for our French host and friends and it was nice. According to the grocer he said it was from Africa :)

As for mangoes if there is Thai Elephant Tusk Ivory Mango you should try it because it is always sweet with a very pleasant texture and no fibers. To me this is the best mango in the world. :)

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I remember you installing the electrical fence. Great that it is helping. So then, your other gardening efforts are doing fine as well. It is good that you can grow enough to not have to go and buy groceries too often. That is a great goal even not in covid times.
    Congrats on getting your priks. Fingers crossed now.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Sjoerd, planting continuously after each harvest is not good for the the bed which is what I discovered even with the addition of fresh compost. This is referring to leafy greens, the end product are not as nice and healthy as it should be.
    So now I am letting the bed get at least a month rest before preparing it for the next planting. This way the final products are nicer and healthier plants :) I have added a new bed to cope with the scheduling of the needed 1 month rest.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh KK, mate that sounds good. The “wearing-out” of soil is a problem for everyone. It sounds like you are taking steps to make your beds better.

Planting new crops in the same beds continuously can deplete the soil of nutrients as you know. This is a challenge that I have every year with the soil in my greenhouse. I am so crazy that each spring, I remove the soil in the greenhouse and replace it with new soil. It is the only thing that I can do since I cannot physically move the greenhouse around to new places in the garden.

Do you do something like that with your beds?

Odif likes this.
  15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I used to replace the earth of the single plant (okra, egg plant, pineapple, etc) bed with the long bed. Now I don't do that anymore. The only earth I replace are those in containers and they are recycled back into the ground bed.

To prepare the bed for new planting I try to flip the earth upside down :) I'll remove the first 2~3 inches of the earth with the weeds into a container. Then another 3~4 inches layer into another container and follow with another. I'll end up with a hole that is at least 8inches deep.

Before filling up, a layer of about 2 inches of garden and kitchen is thrown in and then the first 2~3 inches of the earth with the weeds will go in. Next the second 3~4 inches layer followed with a sprinkle of dried chicken droppings and finally the last 3~4 inches layer that was dug out.

Finally 2~3 inches of the earth is removed again and mixed with about 30% or more compost before returning the earth to the bed. Finally the seedling goes in.

I find this method works well for me and off course depending on what kind of plant it is I have to feeding them accordingly by mulching with compost. But for leafy veggies no further feeding is necessary.

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké, I see what you are doing.
    Well, you are getting good results so far.
    Well done.