Finds from my favorite thrift store

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Oct 25, 2008.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We took off late yesterday afternoon for a relaxing visit to our favorite thrift store. Haven't been in a few weeks and oh, look, it's just a few blocks from one of our favorite Tex-Mex restaurants and it was dinner time so why not stop there too :-D

I have wanted one of these for the garden for years and finally found one really cheap and in almost perfect condition. It's almost 24 inches tall and pretty heavy.
    [​IMG]

Found this green one on a previous thrift store visit and kept forgetting to post the picture, it's about 18 inches tall and also heavy.
    [​IMG]

These little birdhouses will either be mounted to the top of posts in the yard or maybe attached on the sides of one large post, don't really know yet.
    [​IMG]

One of these will be filled with Hyacinth bulbs that need to be moved next week. The other will be filled with Snowflake bulbs that also need to be moved next week.
    [​IMG]

This little picket fence was just too cute to pass up.
    [​IMG]

And this is going on a wall in my craft room, just too perfect not to have. It reminds me so much of Sjoerd's garden.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh Toni didn't you do well?!! My favourite is the beautiful picture because I'd love to have a garden that looked just like it. I also think the four planters are fantastic - you must show us them again once they're planted up and I'm sure your birds will love their new homes. :stew1:

4. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Good finds, Toni. love the planters. I need to up my visits to the thrift shops now.
    Gardengater

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I haven't been to any thrift shops lately .Your finds are just so great.The bird houses are so cute and that picture is so like Sjords garden.The vases are absolutely my favorite.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Gorgeous planters! I'm not envious, but please show photos when you've got them planted up. :D

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds Toni!
    The picture just reminded me of a very similar cross stitch project I started when I was pregnant. I wonder where I put it? My daughter is almost 14 so I think it's high time I finished it!

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Toni--you've got some nice stuff there.Those little birdhouses are really cheerful aren't they. Do you know for what kind of bird they are meant?

I agree with you about that picture. As I scrolled down looking and reading that picture really sprung-out at me, and I just looked and started at it. I immediately liked it, so maybe you are spot on about there being something about that picture that is reminiscent of my garden. Why, it makes ME think of my garden. :)

9. petunia

petunia Young Pine

nice finds there Toni. I really like the bird houses very bright & colorful. Just looking at that little picket fence, I'm sure you'll find a great place for it. Just remember when spring comes back around to shows picts of how you used these great finds.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Love the picture...just beautiful. My fav is the second vase. I will be in Dallas for Thanksgiving, but doubt that I will have the opportunity to go by the store...darn it!

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Cute! Cute! Cute! I'm glad you found that big white urn, I've always wanted one for my front porch so I could plant a geranium in it :-o I'd like to find some cute birdhouses like that for my sis, she is really getting into birdhouses and feeders.

12. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The more I look at that painting of yours, the better I like it. Wonder if I can make my garden look like that?

13. Crafty Gardener

Crafty Gardener Seedling

What great finds, and they will be perfect for your garden and craft room.

14. angmf2233

angmf2233 Seedling

all great finds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love going to thrift shops cause ya never know what you may find. You got alot of cool stuff for sure!

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I got so busy getting mother settled into her new residence that I forgot to get back to this topic.

Haven't had a chance to do anything with my new goodies, the picture hasn't even been hung up yet.

I think the birdhouses were meant to be more decorative than functional. The holes are so tiny, they might be too small for sparrows but possibly a Wren would find them homey. Sure hope so, I know Wrens visit my yard so maybe they will call it home too.
    I am going to mount each of them on tall poles painted to match and have them out around the garden next year.

16. colourmegrae

colourmegrae Seedling

*drool* I absolutely adore that green planter, it's gorgeous! I can imagine the possibilities... :smt041