First deer of the season

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by marlingardener, Nov 10, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We had three deer, a buck and two does, visit our pasture today. Deer season started last weekend, and we usually get deer at our pond and among the trees since they know this is a "safe spot" with no hunting allowed.
    Husband, the photographer, got two good photos of the buck, but the does were bouncing down to the pond to get a drink and disappeared.
    Deer a.jpg Deer b.jpg

Tooty2shoes, Jewell, Frank and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let's hope all three stay around and don't venture into unsafe territory. :fingerscrossed:

marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

They are lovely creatures aren’t they.
    I like these pics!

marlingardener likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This time of year we see "deer circles" where they bed down for the night. The does and young deer are in the center of the circle, and the bucks are on watch. The grasses are trampled down, and high grass surrounds the circle. Any predator has to come through the high grass and can be heard approaching. We have had as many as three circles in the six acres of the pasture.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG, no hunting allowed at your pond specifically or any pond? I don't know what the rules are about hunting deer. I know in NY state you can't hunt them at a feeding station.

A friend of ours got mad at his neighbor because the neighbor put a hunting blind up on his property without permission. Our friend dumped a bag of feed at the base of the blind so the hunter couldn't hunt there.

That same errant neighbor put a blind up on our property without permission and my brother took it down and threw it away. Those blinds can be expensive.

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, we don't allow hunting on our property, although a few trusted friends can fish our pond if they call, ask, and walk to the pond rather than driving.
    In Texas, there is a deer hunting season. Those who don't own land rent "deer leases", put out feeders to get the deer used to coming to a spot to feed, and sit in their blinds and blow Bambi away. I don't see the "sport" in it.
    We are on a small enough acreage that anyone trying to sneak in a blind would be pretty obvious. Good for your brother!

Jewell, eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

We do not allow hunting either ! But a few friends can fish and in return they keep an eye on our property !
    We do however keep traps out for feral hogs ! These go to anyone who wants to eat them ! They are killed humanely and dressed !

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart. we don't have feral hogs, thank heavens! However, the mother of our plumber bought trapped feral hogs, her son butchered them, and she sold the meat. She received a sow with piglets, and our plumber brought us a headless, footless piglet in a cooler. He told me to "let it bleed out". Oh yes, I surely did! That is when I learned how to cut up a piglet carcass.
    The apron I wore during the "dressing out" has never been the same, no matter how often I bleach it!

Jewell, Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Thank heavens you do not have feral hogs ! They can decimate a pasture in one night ! I do not eat them but everyone else here does and many hunt them ! Our horses keep them out of our pasture usually but occasionally they sneak in ! They uproot any grass and generally make a mess of things !

Jewell and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG, i am impressed with your butchering skills. And your bravery!

My family raised sheep when i was a kid and we took them to the butcher for killing & butchering when the time came. One time, my dad decided to take one of the carcasses home & butcher it himself.....And boy did he butcher that carcass! NOT a pretty sight.

Jewell, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.