First Junque of the new year

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Jan 5, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My birdhouse on a stick. It was originally a decorative piece with artificial flowers on the front but someone ripped them off. I am going to clean off the left over bits of glue, add a perch, paint and seal it for the front yard.
    [​IMG]

I am going to paint and seal some rounds of wood to attach to the stands then put them out in the garden to hold my small gargoyles.
    [​IMG]

Have you ever noticed that you start out with one or two unusual things and before you know it, you have a collection. This is watering can #6. They will all eventually be hung on two trellis at the front of the house. I have hopes that vines will cover up the trellis and the watering cans will provide a safe place for birds to shelter.
    [​IMG]

This is techinically not garden junque. It is a really large candle holder for a patio during the holidays. I had seen them outside a local Kroger grocery store before the holidays but one this size was out of my budget. We happened to go back to that store on Sunday and this one was on sale for $15 so I just couldn't resist. It is about 2 feet tall and is now perched in the middle of the shrub roses out front.
    Also, we are having some icy rain this morning and you can see the icicles hanging from his hat.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. toni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. toni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Those will all be neat in your yard.I am glad you have the ice so far.It may end up here but I pray it wont.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great finds Toni. I particularly like the bird house and hope it attracts some of our feathered friends who'll set up home in it. :-D

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I really like the birdhouse Toni, hope you can post a photo of the finished product :)

I didn't know you had gargoyles, have you ever posted photos of them?

Advertisement
  6. toni

I don't think I have Frank. There might be one of the first Gargoyle in one of my early blog entries tho. When the icy rain has ended and I can wander around out back again I will get some pictures.
    I have a large one on a tree stump by the back fence, a smaller one our front, 5 really small ones I found recently, three small ones I bought after Halloween and a set of bookends.

They are like the watering cans...start out with one and before you realize it you have a collection going.
    :rolleyes:

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds again Toni. I wish I had your luck at second hand stores...all I ever find IS junk. I like those stands, particularly the one with the Ivy on it.
    I'd love to see your gargoyles :)

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Wonderful finds, toni! :D I can see the icicles clearly, and it looks very festive. Those watering cans of yours sounds like fun, and I'd love to see the gargoyles too.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an interesting array of things, Toni. I like thew bird house and watering can especially. Your ideas for them sound good and I also want to see fotos of the finished products.
    Way t'go, Toni!

10. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Cool finds Toni!!

11. colourmegrae

colourmegrae Seedling

I like the birdhouse. Toni, I have a question for you. Do you do specific themes with your stuff or is it just strewn about? Perhaps watering cans in one part of the yard [I presume that's where you put them], birdhouses in another, etc?

12. toni

Most of the watering cans will be hanging on two trellis' out front, hopefully the vines I plan on planting will make them nice little nesting places for some birds.

I have several birdhouses on the back wall of the garage that the birds use in spring. Many of the others I have are more decorative and I plan on mounting them on individual sticks to have around the yard in amoung the plants.

13. naturelvr

naturelvr New Seed

Hi there,

Just lurking a bit. I noticed the wonderful butcher block table and just felt like commenting. Anytime I have ever come across one, they are never for sale, always used for display. Yours is beautiful!

~Kim

14. toni

Thanks Kim,
    That isn't one of the solid wood chopping block tables, I would love to have one of those. But like you said they are usually not for sale when I find them....or they are priced so high I almost faint. :rolleyes:

My Dad gave that one to my Mom for Christmas 1977. He brought it to my apartment to hide from her until Christmas eve and I forgot it was there during the first night, walked right into it in the dark and broke my toe. So it has good memories and not so good
    Over the years Mom has downsized and I inherited it a few years ago.