Fish problem

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by devonpete, Jan 13, 2007.

1. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I installed a new pond about 3 months ago which has an artificial stream entering it at one end, running through large pebbles. A small amount of goldfish were introduced a few weeks ago once the water had matured a bit, and seemed to be quite happy until recently. They are now showing signs of fungus, and dying off. As the fish are often frantically trying to swim up the 'stream', and are possibly damaging their scales by abrasing them on the surrounding stones, is it possible this might be the cause? I've had several ponds in the past and have not had fish contract fungus before. This is the only cause I can think of. Any suggestions greatfully received. Thanks. Pete.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi Pete,
    Afraid I can't help with your fish problem but we do have a pond expert on the forum who should be with your shortly.

I just wanted to say Welcome to GardenStew from north Texas. Hope you will have a look around and be sure to check out pondlady's blog she has lots of good info about water ponds.
    Don't forget to post an intro in the Welcome To GardenStew forum so we can get to know each other.

Toni

4. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

Hi Pete. I am not sure I can help you, but here are some ideas. First of all, you MUST put a dechlorinator in your water these days. Just letting it mature for a bit is not enough unless you are using well water. Get a dechlor that removes chloramine as well.
    It is entirely possible that those goldfish arrived at your pond already sick. Make sure your fish store keeps fish for several days before selling them.
    Do you have plant material in the water for the fish to eat? Be sure there is sufficient anacharis or other oxygenating plant material in the water.
    I am surprised that your fish are swimming at all in the winter. You must be in a tropical climate. Fish should be lying at the bottom in torpor when it is cold.
    If they do have a fungus, it may well be cheaper and easier to start over with new fish. And wait until spring arrives to do it.

5. devonpete

devonpete Seedling

Hi Jan. Although it's more or less theoretically midwinter here in 'sunny' Devon, it's very mild still, which is possibly why the fish are still active. Our really cold time usually comes in Feb/March. Much of the water in the pond is now rainwater as we have had many downpours in the last weeks, and the design of the pond is high on surface area (as it has some surrounding shallow areas). It's also very well stocked with oxygenators.
    As you suggest, the fish may have been suspect in any case, but they did come from a dealer of high local respect.
    Another two have died since I posted my first message this morning...I think I'll just go with nature and wait until the pond is clear of illness. When it freezes over (soon, I expect), this should level the situation out. Then I'll test the water and do what is necessary before trying new stock in the Spring. Pete.

6. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

You have the right idea, Pete. Even here in warmer than usual New Orleans, LA, I would remove all the fish and start over.