Fish tank water?????

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gizmo, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Animal Magnet

Every month 30 gallons of water for the fish tanks is going down the drain :scheming: . Can anyone tell me if I can use it on plants, flowers, grass or compost :?: I just hate to pay for water coming and going out of the house. They are fresh water fish.

2. Loading...

3. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

It would depend on the chemicals you use in the water. Maybe you should start a pond.

4. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Denee is right,if you add chemicals to your fish water never pour it on your plants.If you don't have to use chemicals in the water that is a different story, it would be wonderful for your plants!! Fish water makes wonderful fertilizer without the chemicals!!

5. Hank

Hank Seedling

I use it with no ill effects. It's high in nitrogen.

Advertisement
  6. packrat_junkie

packrat_junkie New Seed

I have 50 fish tanks in my basement. In my spare time I breed cichlids for aquarium stores around the country. Although it's not feasable for me to cart all that water up stairs(my largest tank is 100 gal), I have from time to time used some on my plants. Fish water should not be high in nitrogen. It's deadly to the fish. The plants suffered no harmful effects. Connie

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Go ahead and pour it on your garden the plants love it!!!! :D Just make sure that none of your fish are undergoing any treatment for illnesses as this is the only real thing that could cause problems. The chemicals you add to the fish tank don't harm your fish so they won't harm your plants.

**** Only chemical to watch out for is FilterAid or similar but no doubt you have aquarium plants so you wouldn't be using something like this anyway.****

8. pondlady

pondlady Young Pine

aquarium water

By all means, use that water for your plants. I recycle all pond water through the veggie or flower beds.

Jan, the pondlady in New Orleans