Floorplan - how should I rearrange?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by moneyshotz, Oct 5, 2007.

1. moneyshotz

moneyshotz New Seed

So I just live in a townhouse and I'm trying to find a better way to rearrange everything. Here is a link to my current floorplan. What I don't like about it is my sectional is currently covering the fireplace. The piano you see in there is not currently in the kitchen, I'm just trying to figure out where to put it before I take it out of storage.

Any suggestions?

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2882/floorplanzo4.jpg

2. Loading...

3. redrose

redrose Seedling

Are you looking to place the piano in that room? If so, you could place the piano on the the wall adjacent to the fire place. The far right 12'5" wall in your floor plan. The sectional possibly on the 9'8" wall, with the television under the window (depending on how large the window is) or between the window and the sliding door.
    You could also flip-flop that, and place the back of the sectional against the window (again depending on the size of the window) with the television on the opposite wall. The coffee table (?) I'd place somewhere within reach or possible near the center of the room.

4. moneyshotz

moneyshotz New Seed

5. redrose

redrose Seedling

I think it's a matter of personal preference as to how near or far the television is, however the way the room is set up poses a bit of a challenge in that respect. The fireplace and the sliding door kind-of prevent that area of the room (the largest area) from allowing the perfect sectional-television set-up.

Btw- I like your floor plan. Very impressive!

Advertisement
  6. moneyshotz

moneyshotz New Seed

7. redrose

redrose Seedling

I do like that. The sctional by the fire place certainly would be nice. The only downfall is that you wouldn't have a direct path from the sliding door. But that's how it goes, can't have your cake and eat it too. :p

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi moneyshotz, I do like the second layout better. Few things are better than settling down to watch a favourite movie in front of a roasting hot fireplace :-D The sectional at the far end of the room would make the fireplace a little redundant.

9. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

If your piano is not electric, don't put it by the fireplace. Fireplaces tend to be too warm & too dry for pianos, drying out all the glued joints in the piano, and causing it to go out of tune.

10. moneyshotz

moneyshotz New Seed

Thanks Frank. Good point about having the sectional right next to the fireplace.

Pianolady, how far away from the fireplace would you recommend having the piano?

11. moneyshotz

moneyshotz New Seed

So for this layout. Which wall should I make an accent wall? The wall with the TV or the fireplace wall?

12. redrose

redrose Seedling

Generally the accent wall will be the first wall you want to see when walking into the room, or the wall with a focal point (fireplace, wall with dramatic artwork, etc). The obvious choice would be the wall with the fireplace, however, it's not nearly as large as the alternative and wouldn't catch the eye quite as easily as the wall with the tv. It's a matter of opinion really. Can you have an accent wall too large, I wonder?

13. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I'd put it as far away as possible, or even in a different room. If you don't use the fireplace that much, it might not be that big a deal.