Flower mats

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cyoung35, May 28, 2007.

1. cyoung35

cyoung35 New Seed

My wife and I want a real flower garden outside in our front yard along with the tropical palm trees we have now. Can anyone recommend some flowers that would be ok to plant this time of year and also can withstand very hot temperatures during the hot and dry Southern California Summer?

2. Loading...

3. daff

daff New Seed

We have inherited a yucca tree, it`s about 7 feet high. we planted it in the front garden where it`s very hot and dry in summer, it`s produced 7 babies, i sliced one of them of, put it in soil and kept it watered, it`s taken, i`m going to do the same with another 2 of them. The yucca came in a pot it had been in there over 10 years, there wasn`t any soil in the pot, just roots, we had to break the pot off to get it out. So i would suggest getting a yucca tree as it seem to withstand any kind of abuse and temperature, pity you don`t live closer as you could have had one of my cuttings.

4. teddyedwards

teddyedwards New Seed

I've just planted some Livingston Daisies in the garden. They do best in hot dry parts of the garden, don't need especially brilliantly fertilised soil and can cope with drought. Beautiful colours and apparently spread like wildfire. Really looking forward to seeing them come up :-D