Flowers And Magic

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The fall is over, over here. The cold winds and grey days are becoming the norm. The garden is in hibernation. We went out to the Saturday market and picked up some colour for the house. As the folks that have been here know--we keep flowers in the house 24/7---as they are inexpensive relative to overseas prices. I believe that most, if not all families have fresh flowers in their homes regularly. It is a cultural thing.

This time we chose six small pots of Cyclamen and placed them in the round Mexican container.
    Cy.jpg

Ahh, the colours are a bit washed-out by the flash, but you can still get an idea. We ought to get a few weeks of pleasure from these.
    Cyclamen can be a bit of a challenge to care for; however we are confident.

A couple of days ago, the Bride and I went on our daily constitutional in the park. Towards the end of the walk, we frequently take the path that goes along the Zuider Zee and the harbour and we can see the tower and harbour of our town. The Bride tugged at my elbow and whispered, "Look there, those people are leaving. Lets grab their bench".

Our cadence quickened (not to rapidly, but still quicker than a stroll), as we didn't want to alert anyone of our intentions for fear that they would also want that bench. It was still far away, so our sneaky plan was most difficult to carry out. Restraint can be a challenge sometimes.

We stopped and sat on that bench, commenting how warm the seat still was. We watched the sun go down near the harbour tower. It was magic...there was still colour even after the sun was below the horizon. The colours went from red-pink to blue-purple to yellow.

We sat there, looking at the sunset and chatting. The large colony of coots were diving and eating what looked like water-plants. A couple of gulls kept disturbing the coots with their parasitic behaviour. They would paddle along until they identified a target then the gull would pick at the coot until it dropped the bit of plant material and the gull would scarf it down.

If this wasn't bad enough--there were also some parasitic coots that would rob other coots in the same manner. Aside from this scene that was playing out before us, we saw other waterfowl in the area--herons, small ducks, mallards and some tardy greebs. At this time of day though, they bwere all black silhouettes.
    cy2.jpg

The cement bench was getting cold now, as were we--the cold was burrowing its way through our coats and layers of sweaters and shirts.Time to go, but not leave without re-chanting to ourselves--- "It was magic, wasn't it".

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Kay, Cayuga Morning, carolyn and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Magic indeed Sjoerd. I was almost there beside you on that cement bench enjoying the sun going down and watching the wildlife. :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

@Sjoerd your flowers how long they last look a beautiful display and the ones on the right look a 3D affect in colour plus flowers give a lovely homely look and what a glorious display to watch showing even on a cement bench...I see some beautiful scenery on here and always a pleasure to view :heart: :setc_083:

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That was lovely Sjoerd. thanks for including us.
    I am so boring anymore... just getting from one day or event to the next. I keep thinking life will give us a break sometime soon but I doubt it. we have had a funeral, a heart attack, a blood clot, and pancreatitis (4 different family members) in our family since Oct 21st. now the dentist coming up this week for a root canal I am sure. I broke a tooth not long ago and it may need a root canal and not just a crown and a pulmonary dr appointment for my mother in law after I am done with that appointment on Tues. on Saturday I am hosting a dinner for my aunts and uncles (who are also aging I don't know if there is one under 80 except for my mom) and then preparing for my last farmers market of the year... the next dentist appointment to fit the crown, a wedding of one niece...then, hopefully then we can leave for a 2 or 3 week vacation. we are a bit flexible on that but with aging parents that doesn't always get to be our choice.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Carolyn so sorry to hear this bad news and I hope the root canal if it is that goes ok :fingerscrossed:

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad you liked that EILEEN--On that bench, one can see the harbour hotel and restaurant in the old prison. It was a great evening. Today it is grey and cloudy. I doubt there will be a nice sunset today...but we'll see. It isn't tea time yet, but after the tea...who knows.

GAIL-- Thanks for your nice comments meid. I am glad that you liked the scenery here.

Thank you so much CAROLYN-- Sorry to hear about the physical probs going on over your way. You said that is was four probs and four people---lucky that, for if it had been one person with those four probs it would have been a pretty bad luck, right?
    Boy, oh boy--you are such a busy person and I see that you do lots with older folks. Great that you are having time for a vacation though. Gal, I hope that goes through. Will the hols be in the u.s.
    Hopefully that last Farmers' Market will be a good one for you. Is the last one alwways a bit more fun?

Gail-Steman likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I loved your description of spying the empty bench and making for it in a not-so-obvious way!! Comical. Who can't relate to that? Sounds like you too had a lovely afternoon walk & moment to sit and appreciate the world.

Catolyn, my goodness, you have so much on your plate! I do hope things can ease in your life. I know you are younger than me and very much in the thick of working, parenting, taking care of relatives, etc. Perhaps unrealistically, i wish you had a bit more time for yourself.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks CAYU--I know that everyone does this from time to time...in the supermarket also. You know when you approach the cashier...but especially where there is a place to sit involved like in parks, big gardens etc. You are also right about it being comical. We chuckled to ourselves about our own behaviour.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, thanks, we get through each event by the day then by the week... I told my mother in law she had better hope nothing happens to me.... there is no one to take care of them if anything does. we get through each event by the day or even as little as the moment. some of these events are life altering or maybe not even survivable without medical care.
    the last market is more of a holiday geared market. I do more organizing and setting it up than actual selling at this one.. there isn't much left to take from the gardens. we have had brutally cold weather for the last 8 weeks. I have lettuce in the high tunnel. everything else will be jams/jellies, dried peppers, and baked goods. I haven't looked at my kalettes in the past two weeks and I doubt they are harvest-able

as for vacay.. we are staying in the states but not by much. going to Tx again. a place where there is nothing and I do mean nothing to do. a great place to go if you just want nothing to have to keep a schedule on. Kevin goes fishing then we go out to eat every night. go to church, go to potluck meals for the holidays etc... I just hope the weather is nicer this year than last year.
    Thanks Cayuga. I keep saying I am signing up for the nursing home pretty soon. just so I am not too old to make change when I can't make the decision myself.:D.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Sjoerd you do have beautiful scenery where you are and to me it's a pleasure to view besides other members.