Forget-me-nots in containers

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tina, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

A friend gave me a few forget-me-not plants that she pulled from her garden. I have a yellow container in which I feel these will look lovely when they bloom. But will it be fine to grow garden plants in containers? Anybody has any experience of doing this?
    Thanks

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have grown many garden plants in pots. Good mix, good drainage, proper moisture and temperatures that match the plant are the key. Forget me nots usually self sew if they are the same plant I am thinking of. They don't always winter over here.

The larger the pot the better for many plants in case of extreme cold snaps. Good luck.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have Forget-me-nots in a container in the garden. They seem happy enough living there so I leave them undisturbed. The only thing I do with them is split them when I want to give some away or transplant a portion of them elsewhere.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say Tina--is the type of Forget-Me-Nots that you have the Myosotis type?

I have lots of those growing in my garden. They self seed and have leaves now. They will bloom in the spring.

As you see from Eileen's posting, they can grow fine in containers. My type of Forget-Me-Nots are quite winter-hardy.

Good luck with yours. Please post a pic when they bloom or now even.

Advertisement
  6. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I have a bunch of seeds. I would like to plant them, but I haven't figured out where or what to do with them. I like the idea of a container. Are they safe for cats?

7. Tina

Tina Young Pine

First of all, apologies for the late reply. I couldn't do much in the garden since November. I left the forget me notes in the black plastic pot they came in. Looks fine so far after 2 spells of sub zero temperatures. Hoping for the best.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Such a pleasant, happy flower. I will add lots more to my garden this year...