Forgetting Seeds

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by daisybeans, Jun 20, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Did I ever mention that I have not planted any sunflowers this year because TWICE I bought seeds (several packs each time) and forgot and left them in the garage... and someone nibbled the envelope and ate them all! So I just bought some more. They are in the house. I'm going to germinate them now. Maybe too late.. but you know what? With all the rain we've had, seeds or seedlings would have been washed away. I planted some 4 o'clock seeds and only one has made it through the monsoons!

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm still planting seeds here too Daisybens. It has been so cold that nothing has been growing anyway.

4. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Plant them now .. Your still in planting season in june..

Mine are just coming up.

PS if you put seeds in a garage, put them into metal containers......Or heavy plastic..

5. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

No sunflowers here either. Every time I plant them in the gardens or in the greenhouse, a darn chipmunk digs them up. Sometimes the chipmunks plant their own sunflower seeds from the feeders and plant the seeds in my containers full of flowers and THEN....they dig them up. My potted flowers too are dug up.

:(

Advertisement
  6. Tammyd

Tammyd Seedling Plants Contributor

I just planted a small bed of zinnia seeds. I put down a few sheets of newspaper on top of the soil, and put small rocks around the edges to secure the paper until the seeds germinated, and were able to withstand all of the downpours. It worked pretty well. My daughter has beautiful sunflowers which grew from previous ones that had self seeded. They are such cheerful flowers.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I have replanted sunflowers near my corner flower garden out front but the rabbits here have chewed them away. So I'm still planting seeds. cantaloupes, radishes, & peppers still putting in from seed. Its not been a warm year here 65-70 but very little sun. Now they're saying we may be having storms go through tonight.(Friday) So I say let the seed planting continue on.

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Sorry about your chewy sunflowers.
    Mine come back like crazy here........
    no problems , we have a yapping dog and cats to guard.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Well, I feel better about planting seeds now, then, since y'all are still doig it. I had to laugh at myself when I saw the seeds were eaten, at least the first time. Well... I laughed the second time too, to be honest! Interesting process, Tammy, with the newspaper. Maybe I'll try that. You have some funny chipmunks there CC! We're getting rain through Saturday night, so they say.

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

The Zinnias are doing well and blooming, but I had to lure the slugs away with some beer.

11. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

nothing like a drunk slug they say..

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Sorry to hear about the probs,Daisy---but don't give up.
    I just planted some sunflowers two days ago.

13. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Yep....dont give up.

14. lulu1107

lulu1107 New Seed

Sunflower Seeds

Yep, that rain cost me several flats of seeds, too. I just kept at it, though. In fact, I came up with a quicky solution by placing the seed flats under inverted clear plastic tubs. Go ahead and plant some more. I'm going to as well. In another month we will be able to start seeds for our fall gardens.

As far as the critter problems go, I lost an artichoke seedling that way. (Just like the gopher on a cartoon would have done it, only this was probably a vole).

15. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I'm another of the don't give up brigade. I am also still sowing seeds of alsorts, flowers and veggies.