Forgotten for decades, hidden from view and memory

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 2, 2018.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The beam of light moved from side to side as it searched the darkness, penetrating into the long forgotten corners of the shelf. The light stopped, in the back of the shelf two cans saw light for the first time in over 40 years. A hand reached into the now illuminated shelf and grabbed the first can. Darkness again enveloped the remaining can as the first was lifted away. On a work bench the lid was opened… pennies!! Long forgotten rolls of pennies. The contents of the can revealed the can’s intended use, a coin bank for loose change. Only rolls of pennies filled the circular container. Part of an old bank label covered the outside. A promotional advertisement on the label indicated its original contents. But there were two cans!! What of the second can? Light now reentered the darkened shelf for the second time….a hand pulled the other can from the dark recess. The can was not heavy like the first. It still remained sealed after 40 years. Hermetically sealed!! What could be inside? Stay tuned Stewbies for a springtime drama when the can is opened…..its contents revealed.

Mystery, suspense, and intrigue…..in a can

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Don't wait too long to tell us Jerry. I MUST know. I MUST know now!!:smt090

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That can better not contain gnomes doing hard time. Do not open it Jerry, you will regret it!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oooohhh, wonder what it is? Pickles? haha

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jerry... it will be a canned answer?

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I CAN't wait to find out!

8. Jerry Sullivan

The first can....pennies!! IMG_1126.JPG

The second can.....with???? IMG_1127.JPG

The can is hermetically sealed and stayed sealed for over 40 years
    IMG_1128.JPG

The plot thickens:):)

Jerry

Frank likes this.
  9. Jerry Sullivan

Background for the can and a preview of TIME MACHINE 2. In the summer of 1977 we were hunting for a house. A reasonable yard and trees was a requirement. Having grown up in a concrete jungle anything green was protected by a park or took it's life in it's own hands. There is a reason you do not see plants crossing a busy street in a city. The realtor took us to various houses and we selected one we liked. The offer was accepted and we now owned a house and a new community. The cans were a promotional advertisement for a local bank as well as other considerations. The cans came home. The contents of the first can was squandered with the aid of a concrete thumb. The second can is where our story begins.

For those of you that saw/remember Time Machine 1, seeds in hermetically sealed packets did best. The Shasta daises still thrive to this day.

So here is the science of the post, the can was hermetically sealed, just like the daisy packets(Burpee by the way). Will the seeds in the can sprout? First I have to find a can opener.

Does anybody have a can opener?:)

Jerry

10. Jerry Sullivan

I Found one....probably as old as the can. It was in the kitchen drawer with all the other gadgets we don't use and can never find.

IMG_1131.JPG

Now where did that can go?

It comes with directions
    IMG_1132.JPG

Looks like I need soil.....water.....a place to plant.....natural light.....I wonder how big this seed packet is.....I also need a container for the soil.....It's raining lightly outside today.....That might be a good sign. I'll be right back with more stuff....unless the Mrs. finds me and has some chore like clean the barbecue grill.

Jerry

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Frank likes this.
  11. eileen

Aww you didn't open it Jerry!! :( The suspense is killing me. I want to know what the seeds are and then I need to know if they'll sprout for you. Tapping fingers here with impatience.

12. Jerry Sullivan

O.K. Your wish is granted. After 40 years.....??? Air hissed as the opener punctured the top. Seed packet? Did it decompose? There was some soil in there.....a cup to hold the soil.....but as for seeds...??? maybe there are seeds in the soil? That would be bad as the soil would have moisture. Not good for 40 years. I will scatter the soil/ Seeds?? on some potting soil and wait. In the mean time I will look something else in the recesses of the dark shelf. Who knows??

IMG_1133.JPG IMG_1134.jpg IMG_1135.JPG
    IMG_1136.JPG

Jerry

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

canned ..... soil?

14. eileen

Now we've got to wait again to see if anything sprouts for you. Let's hope something does and it's worth the 40 years it's spent in that tin.:fingerscrossed:

15. Jerry Sullivan

I expected a seed packet:(:( I will 'plant' the soil but it is a bit disappointing.

Hmmm...for years I have used a spare refrigerator for seed storage...for a long time.....a very long time. Akin to 'what is in the back of the refrigerator' the three drawers have amassed a large supply of 'whatever'. Usually the top layer gets the attention and the bottom layers.....wellllllllllll.:sleeping::sleeping: As they say in the card game 'Go Fish!!'

I did clean the barbecue grill. Steak-out Sunday, maybe I will fish through a drawer while the steaks cook.

Jerry

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    2ofus and Frank like this.