Fork Heads Revisited

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Oct 6, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The two fork heads bought two weekends ago at the 37 mile long yard sale have been modified and are now standing duty as hose guards. I had the insulators just sitting around waiting for their turn to show off, Randy epoxied them together and just got them out in the backyard.

Fork head hose guards as I will be seeing them...
    [​IMG]
    Forkheads....my view ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Fork head hose guards as the hose will be seeing them....
    [​IMG]
    Hose-eye view of the fork heads ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toni I wish I had your imagination when you see things like old fork heads. I would never have bought them 'cause I wouldn't have known what to do with them. :oops: Now if I see any going cheap I'll be buying them. :-D

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Better watch out there Toni, looks like you've got some alien invaders on your hands!

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Great use of both the forkheads and the insulators! You have the luckiest water hose in the state. :D

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Glass heads with four sharp feet!! Something you can not get a handle on. :)

Jerry

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Very clever comment Jerry---hahaha. Good one!

Say Toni--where did you find those old glass "conductors"?. The forks and conductors make an interesting presentation.

Folks here sometimes old shovel blades planted upside down in the ground to clean the muddy bottom of their working shoes.

Anyway, congrats on this unusual-looking garden feature.

8. toni

Thanks all for the nice comments about the newest junque addition.

Eileen, the idea of using them as hose guards came to me from a book on decorating with flea market finds so I really can't claim that part as my own but adding the insulators was mine.

Frank, they really do look like little aliens from ground level. Hadn't thought of that!

Thanks Cheryl. I have two more insulators waiting for another inspiration.

Oh, groan, Jerry. good one.

Sjoerd, those insulators are in almost every junk shop we go through. All colors and a few other shapes. I think I have to start gathering up more for maybe edging a path....or something.
    I have seen shovel, hoe and fork heads used as path edging and just sticking around in flower beds as a visual interest too.

9. cherylad

I've been keeping my eye out for more stuff to use as hose guides. The plastic one's in the stores, only work so-so.
    Here are two of my "creations".

[​IMG]
    shovel-head hose guide ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Uncle Frank Hose Guides ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

AAnightowl and donna in nc like this.
  10. toni

I think you posted the shovel in the ground photo a while ago and I forgot I wanted to copy that idea, thanks for the reminder.

The Uncle Frank guards...are those lug wrenches? I see those at junk shops all the time, now I will have to start collecting a few.

11. cherylad

Yes Toni... I posted the shovel handle last year. It works so well I've moved the green plastic one elsewhere.
    Yep... they are lug wrenches... came from my silly Uncle Frank's truck when we were cleaning it out to sale. So I put them around his White Dinner Plate Hibiscus. I've revamped that area so I probably only need one of them there... the other two will be used elsewhere... after a new paint job.
    :stew2:
    I'm definitely going to copy your forks/insulator idea (if I can find some). I have a couple of the clear insulators just sitting around... now I know how to use them.
    Was there a special kind of Epoxy that Randy used to keep them in place?

12. Theodoros

Theodoros In Flower

Great Toni and Cheryl :-D

13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Neat ideas. My forks got used to keep woodchucks from going under shed. So far they are working well.

14. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

It isn't special, it's just the one I've found that works the best for repairs. I also used it on the spigots on the first three rain barrels. The name is PC-7 and it's a two part epoxy. It can be sanded, painted, or even filed and shaped, after it's dried. Drying takes about 24 hours. The slower drying time makes it stronger. I get it at a local hardware store, but it's available from several places. Here's a link for more info. http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/pas ... s/pc-7.php

15. cherylad

Thanks Randy... I need to get some of that to keep on hand. Sounds like good stuff.

16. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Great ideas Toni and Cheryl. It might have taken me a few more years to think of those ideas. I am always getting my hoses in the way of the flowers. I might know where a greasy old lug wrench is, if it is still there. I have no idea how to clean it up enough for the garden though. :rolleyes:

I have a lot of those insulators around, and some in other shapes. We had trouble with a certain ex relative stalking us a long time ago, and I had two large ones with holes through the middle. I strung them on a wire and hung them in my shed where he liked to hang out.. I have no idea if they conked him on the head or not, but I hope so. I have a few old shovels with no handles that might come in handy for something.