FOXY. Visits my garden.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by MIKE ALLEN, Mar 15, 2022.

1. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

I have always had a love for the fox. Each to their own, regarding their feelings. Perhaps my main concern is related to how foxy has been treated over generations. I could probably write a book about the plight of the fox, and how he/she has become very much part of town life, here in the UK. Any-how, back to my garden.

Over the past twenty or so years. Foxy has been a welcome visitor to the garden. Valerie used to name each one, and in time they would come when called. We never got too close, as I believe that they should be allowed to retain their caution toward mankind. Amazingly, the vixens would always bring the new cubs for us to see. Our garden seemed to be a safe haven for them to rest up and enjoy the sunshine. We seldom were troubled with them fouling the garden.

Now. Yesturday 14th. I noticed a few of my pots/tubs of liliums had attracted the new fox. (A study of foxes, by Oxford University concluded that the average lifespan of the fox is around four years). Checking the pots. Several lily bulbs had been dug out, some partially eaten bulbs remained. Oh dear! Foxy, my friend. Please. Please don't do this.

Frank and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry to hear about your liliums Mike. Is there somewhere you could move them to that the fox wouldn't be able to reach?
    I rescued a fox last summer that had managed to get itself caught in a fence. It was just a youngster and seemed fine when its leg was released. If we didn't have these animals in our urban and rural spaces then we'd have so many more rabbits, rats and mice around. I'm so glad you can enjoy seeing them in your garden.

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@MIKE ALLEN thanks for the story. Sorry about your liliums!

I just noticed one of mine is growing. I have to have them in pots because underground animals eat them. Plus they have to be fenced because deer eat them. Deer can eat the entire lily overnight! And apple and pear and plum and peach trees and most veggies...

How about a deal? I could send you all of my deer, and you could send me your foxes! You could even have venison!

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have foxes here, too. Not surprising since we are very rural. We appreciate their efforts in keeping the rodent population down.
    My husband caught one on camera, roaming a flower bed:
    Fox a.jpg

MIKE ALLEN, eileen and Netty like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice looking grey fox.
    I enjoyed seeing this foto very much. It looks as if the grey fox is a bit smaller than a red one.

marlingardener likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Gray fox are a bit smaller than red fox but both are amazing animals ! Not many here in our neighborhood !

Sjoerd likes this.