Frittata - Italian omelet

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Nov 11, 2010.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Saturdays are usually pretty busy around here--my husband catching up on farm chores, me chasing chickens and weeding. Lunch has to be when we can eat, not a scheduled meal, and we often have frittata, which is an Italian omelet (bless the fruit of the hen!).

Frittata for Two
    Six medium eggs or four large ones, beaten but not frothy

Olive oil to cover bottom of skillet, usually about 1/4 c. which also cooks the veggies

chopped vegetables of your choice (we like squash, tomatoes, sweet peppers, thinly sliced potatoes, onions, arugula, Swiss chard, whatever you like and have on hand).

Fresh or dried basil and/or oregano

a bit of salt and pepper

In a large, heavy skillet, heat olive oil to fragrance and saute the vegetables until done. Pour the beaten eggs over the vegetables, lower the heat, and cook until the top is almost set (the eggs will still be a bit runny on top). Sprinkle sparingly with salt and pepper. Slip the skillet under the broiler to finish the frittata. Add the basil and/or oregano, slip onto a large plate and cut in wedges. This is great with a salad, or salad and Italian bread.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I never!! I've been making these for some years now and didn't even know it. :oops:
    I honestly didn't know there was a special name for them. Now I can brag to folks that I can make Italian omelets called Frittatas. ;)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Eileen,
    Brilliant cooks know no borders. Your frittatas are probably as good as the ones you could get in Tuscany, Florence, or any high-priced restaurant in New York City! I love the idea of taking what you have on hand and making something delicious from it. That is the test of a true cook!

5. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Even though I've just finished dinner, this still
    sounds good! I would add a bit of shredded cheese
    to the top,yum!
    You are lucky to have your egg laying friends right in your back yard, can't raise them in the city where I live.