Front shade bed, wheelbarrow planted and Parakeet in bloom

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Oct 6, 2009.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have been trying to fill in this spot for years. It is total shade so that was a dilemma for a while.
    The Heliconia psittacorum 'St. Vincent Red' (Parakeet Flower, Parrot Flower) under youngest daughters window. Curcuma alismatifolia 'Pink' (Siam Tulip, Curcuma Ginger) to the left.
    The two Hosta 'Halcyon' are in the red buckets. A Bird's Nest Fern in the center pot. and an Asparagus densiflorus (Sprenger Asparagus) in a copper pot.

[​IMG]
    Front Shade garden ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The wheel barrow we moved from the backyard has two
    Heuchera villosa 'Pistache' (Pistache Coral Bells), two small Asparagus densiflorus (Sprenger Asparagus) and three Pachysandra terminalis 'Green Carpet' (Spruge, Green Carpet Spurge)
    which will have to be transplanted in the ground next spring.
    And one of the Hosta had a companion growing in it's pot, a small almost white Petunia. It's at the front of the planting.

[​IMG]
    Shade wheel barrow planting ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

And the Heliconia psittacorum 'St. Vincent Red' (Parakeet Flower, Parrot Flower) has opened up.

[​IMG]
    Heliconia blossom opened ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jewell
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Gorgeous! :D I really like the look of your full-shade border, Toni. Well done. Let's hope your plants will appreciate your efforts and grow like they've never grown before.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You have an attractive group of plants there Toni. I'm so glad you found what you were looking for as I know how difficult it can be to get a hold of plants that actually like full shade. The coloured pots and wheelbarrow add an extra dimension to the bed - well done!!

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You sure have been busy Toni! I love your red pots too :)

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really like the looks of that shade border and all the proposed plants. It isa going to be a pure pleasure to see it all next season, when it is going full tilt.
    Such a great choice of plants there.

Just don't forget to water the shade place once and awhile, for if you let it become a "dry shade" plot things may do less than optimal.

7. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

We're doing just the opposite here in Wisconsin...cleaning out all of our planters, digging out plants to overwinter in a warmer spot, mulching to protect tender plants from heaving in the spring thaws. I envy you, as summer was just too short here this year.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Aw, hard to believe you're just getting a petunia.... summer is over here too... I like the little wheelbarrow. Parakeet flower is gorgeous, what a nice focal point, along with the ginger.

What is the large bush to the right of the whole arrangement. Pretty deep green and texture to the leaves.

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks everyone, I am really happy to have finally gotten shade plants to put there. I think that shutter I bought junking a few weeks ago is going to be mounted in the ground in front of the bedroom window. I also have a small table and a couple of chairs out back that I might move up there for decoration too.

Those red pots are 'party buckets' made for holding iced down canned drinks by the pool. I found them on sale at Target last month. And I have been collecting rather large pots of different types and colors when I go thrift shopping too. Many, if not most, of those plants will have to be moved to the heated bloom house if/when we get any frigid temps so I figured planting them in pots was best.

Daisybeans, I lost all my Petunias during the excessive heat and drought of July-August, just couldn't keep them watered enough. That little one was a freebie with one of the Hosta. If it takes root I am going to repot it for another location.
    The bush to the right of the picture is a standard shrub that was planted there when the house was built in 1967, not sure what it is tho. I really need to trim it back a bit too.