Full House.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse' started by Sydney Smith, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Just for interest this. I do have just a small Greenhouse now with alpines in it but these are a few old and faded pics of that one at first address - going a ways back. Grew a very wide selection of plants of many types in that garden and the Greenhouse in these pics was used mainly as a " plant rearing house" - seeds raised - cuttings rooted - offsets grown on - also grew some alpines in it - a real "all purpose" set up. It certainly did earn its keep as well as providing much interest and enjoyment. Excuse please iffy pics. DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0015.JPG Syd.

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zigs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thanks for sharing Syd. I know my GH has given me loads of enjoyment. One of my better investments.

4. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

Cute little greenhouse. Looks like you do indeed have a full house. When is the expansion? You can never have to much space. :)

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

OH my stars! That greenhouse was just chock full of great plants! Syd, you never fail to amaze me.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a great selection of plants you had in the greenhouse Syd. I wouldn't be without my greenhouse now and wonder how I ever survived without one for so many years.

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0042.JPG Hi all. Thanks for your interest. That poor little Greenhouse certainly was bursting at the seams but it all had a purpose. That property was our first and there was space to create a nice interesting garden taking in plants of many different types - the Greenhouse was as I said a "rearing house - growing on house". Like most of us my first gardening attempts were very simple even humble i.e. a few rather fussy little beds cut into the then all meadow grass surface of the plot - these had annuals such as Salvias mainly with the then (here) standard white Allysum and blue Lobelia edging plants. It progressed as interest grew and I got into shrubs, herbaceous and evergreen plants, Alpines in raised beds near the house and so on. Never flinched at trying out all sorts of " not for me really ( ref growing conditions)" plants, as well as all the standard ones - lost a few but got away with most. Although loving flowers my accent was always on rarer and unusual foliage plants and these put together to provide a nice interesting height, form, foliage colour and shape contrast - there is plenty of scope in that direction - also cottage garden plants ( a great favourite) were hunted up from here there and everywhere through adverts in garden mags etc. We were there 25 years and only left then due to my work redundancy and having to move on to find a living - tears were shed believe me - heartbreaking.
    I typed a list of all the plants grown there and altogether including species, varieties there was over 500 - still have those typed sheets now. Nuff said but if any questions please do ask. Syd.
    A small edit. We left the property as above in 1982. Now 33 years on looking at the plot on Google Earth happy to say that (or a) Greenhouse still stands there in same position. 2nd Edit. The two pics are small G/H at current plot. Just a few Alpines in it but will likely get some more.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015