Funky Clover Infestation

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by m2, Jul 20, 2005.

1. m2

m2 New Seed

Hello All.

It seems to me I have an infestation arising in my yard. When I bought the house I noticed that under one of my front trees there was not alot of real grass, but instead there was a green leafy substance 8) that looked like clovers (not 100% if they are though). I noticed more of it on the other side of the house as well. I know little about gardening and lawn care etc (aside from cutting it when it is too long), but my wife is pretty smart in this area. She thought nothing of it, so neither did I.

Now 4 1/2 years later I notice it has spread wildly. All over the lawn on the side of the house (can't even see any grass). Almost completely covering the front lawn under the 2 trees and spreading into the flower beds (which are 3 feet above the ground) and going forth into the neighbors yards and beyond. There is almost no sign of any actual grass anymore.

Now the Irish in me says clovers rock, but the Canadian in says I want grass.

Lil' help here. Anybody?

Thanks In Advance

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. dimdim42
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there m2!! Welcome to GardenStew. :D

Now to see what we can do to help you out. Firstly is it possible to post a photograph of the 'clover' you have growing in your garden? It would make ID ing the offending plant much easier. It may in fact be Ground Elder and not clover which is invading your grass.

Her are a couple of web sites for you to take a look at to see if they help in any way.

www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/ground-elder.htm

and

www.ampacseed.com/clover1.htm

The second site is to see if you recognise any of the clovers as the one you think you have.

Does this creeping plant flower? If so what are the flowers like? The more information you can give me the more I can, hopefully, help you out. :)

4. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Do they have flowers? What color are the flowers? Dooley

5. m2

m2 New Seed

I am unsure if they do or do not have flowers.

My wife said they have small bluish purple flowers but I have never seen anything but green.

If I let the grass/weed grow for a few weeks maybe there will be something, but so far I have never seen them flower.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

7. m2

m2 New Seed

YOU ROCK

I think it is ground ivy. Wait till I tell my wife. She always complains she can't grow ivy's, now we have a whole yard full :p

8. eileen

Pity it's not the kind of ivy you actually want in your garden though m2!!! :( Still, at least you know what it is now. :D Glad I could help.

9. dooley

I found ground ivy in my Field Guide to Wildflowers. It says it likes roadsides, lawns and shady spots. It grows from Canada south to Missouri. It it not a native species but was imported probably with other plant material. It doesn't say where it came from originally. Dooley

10. eileen

Oh Oh - Hope it didn't come from Scotland!!!! :eek:

11. dooley

Mayhap it came from England. Are not the "Halls of Ivy" their learning institutions? We have Ivy League schools along the Wast coast of the U.S. Dooley

12. eileen

Phew, glad we're not to blame!!!

13. m2

m2 New Seed

:D

14. dooley

Now that you have identified the ground ivy are you planning on keeping it or doing away with it? Is it a wildflower or a weed? It sounds as if it will be a huge job if you are going to try to do away with it. I hate weeds or plants that insist on growing where they don't belong. Here we have two. Hollyhocks, which I really like and grow everywhere without planting them and horehound. I spent days digging it out this spring. It just comes up everywhere. Not just at my place but all over town. Dooley

15. m2

m2 New Seed

I am going to look around at some garden stores to find out how to get rid of it. Way to much of the stuff and I would prefer to have an actual lawn. Plus It think it is working it's way over to nieghbors yards and I am pretty sure they would not be happy with it.

When I cut the grass, you cannot even tell I cut it because the ground ivy is short and thick.

It has got to go. Should have taken care of it a long time ago, but just didn't get around to it.

This is the year I start putting more effort into my yard and gardens. Hopefully it will not be so much work that I cannot enjoy it though.

16. eileen

Me again!!

We have a product here called 'Weed and Feed' which eliminates all the weeds in your lawn (including dandelions) and feeds the grass at the same time. Do you have the same stuff in Canada? If so my neighbour, Tom, recommends giving it a try. :) Sorry I can't tell you first-hand what it is like as I have a completely organic garden myself.

Let me know how you get on. :D

Cheers.