Furniture layout for living room with two empty alcoves

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Kurt, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Kurt

Kurt New Seed

I was hoping some of you with more interior design sense than me could help suggest a furniture layout for my living room. I've never found something that seems to work.

Here are some screen shots of what I have so far. Ceilings are 8 feet. The kitchen wall has a window pass through so I can't use that as a major wall (one day I may just knock out that wall entirely to help open up the room).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure if this helps but the floor is a light maple laminate floor, walls are BM Adobe Beige, bookshelves on sides of double pane window are espresso, sectional is micro suede beige.)

The hardest part is the two odd shaped alcoves on opposite sides of the room - they're just unused, empty space and I've never known what to do with them (built-in entertainment stand in one, built-in bookshelf in the other?). In the alcove next to the fireplace, I use to have a flat screen TV and TV stand, but I've since mounted the flat screen TV above the fireplace (which is shown in the first picture). Perhaps I should move it back.

Most of the furniture is to scale. As you can see there isn't much room to walk between the corner of the sectional and the very small round dining table in the corner. But if I move the section forward too much, the 2 chairs will be off. Go with one chair?

I'm opening to any ideas. Thank you!

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi Kurt and welcome to GardenStew :stew1:. I have attempted to solve your dining table corner problem through some crude butchering of the images you posted.

Solution 1:

[​IMG]

I moved the section et al slightly toward the fireplace and swapped the positioning of the dining table/ chairs and the chest of drawers. This allows more room to walk around the sectional.

Solution 2:

[​IMG]

Very similar to Solution 1 but the chest of drawers is now to the right of the fireplace totally freeing up that corner next to the utility room. I did have to remove the plant closest to the fireplace though.

As for suggestions what to do with the alcoves may I suggest low light loving plants? More plants will liven up any apartment :)

Hope this helps,
    // frank

4. Kurt

Kurt New Seed

Thank you Frank!

I like moving the credenza to the alcove next to the fireplace. It will look nice there. I think my bookcases have to go - they're way too big for my living room (they're twice the length of the ones pictured in the drawing).

I was also playing around with this idea:

[​IMG]

This opens up the space near the round kitchen table, and might also be more inviting when people walk in (they won't be greeted with the back of a couch). I'll still need to fill the remaining empty alcove, but some plants like you suggest might do the trick.

Speaking of which ... we have 4 cats and they love to devour any plant life we try to bring into our condo. Are there any plants that cat's tend to avoid? We've given up trying to train them to stay away from certain things. I think they're missing the part of the brain that learns.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I like your revised plan Kurt, much better to view people sitting on a sofa upon entering rather than with their backs faced to you. Much more inviting :)

As for cats and plants maybe you'd like to start a new topic in one of the other forums as I feel it may be a question that deserves its own discussion.

Glad you liked the credenza idea :stew1:

Advertisement
  6. kdavisinteriors

kdavisinteriors New Seed

Hi Kurt: I like your revised plan! Just to put another idea in your head... another way to maximize use of the alcove to the right of the fireplace is to place a bench there. You could go two ways with a bench. A bench that has built in storage underneath or a light bench that can easily be moved. Depending on what your life style needs a bench could either add needed storage space or extra setting for entertaining.
    Kristina

7. kume

kume New Seed

My first advice would be to put in big shelves in the alcoves because if you don't they will always look cluttered. Make sure they are thick as the alcoves are quite deep. On the top place a dramatic piece of ar or ceramic (like an old vase?) and maybe even place a light on the ceiling pointing towards that to bring out the light. I advised my parents the same for their cloak room. My grandfather was an apotecary so we have a lot of Delft blue ceramic vases. They put three big ones on a shelves above the coats thingy (rails to hang coats on?) and put a light directly on it. It looks very chic and stunning. Pleas share photographs of your house when you are done! Also, please check my weblog for possible tips. Maybe people therecan help you too? www.checkmyhome.wordpress.com

8. cezz

cezz New Seed

Hi, kurt I ike your idea.. very organized. but kume is right just need to remove the book shelve and I think you should put them on the other side so that it won't like look a clutter.