FYI: natural alternatives to topical hydrocortisone!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by CrisGzr, Jun 7, 2012.

1. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Two days ago I got stung by a yellow jacket, to which I am allergic, thank goodness I only get a localized delayed reaction not systemic. This means 24 hours later, my sting site swells up and gets hot, itchy and causes pain in nearby joint. I am not complaining too much, it is better than an anaphylaxis reaction!

Now, I know from the past, I will have a large inflamed lump for about a week and it itches terribly. I tried the bee sting remedies like plantain but it didn't work. So, I realized I needed a natural alternative to what the doctor would recommend, topical hydrocortisone. Online, I found a useful list, which I further researched and found two I had that work for me!

I am currently itch-free with a poultice of chamomile flowers on my arm. LIcorice tea worked also but I had a bag of chamomile flowers, so I thought I'd use them!

List: http://www.livestrong.com/article/17549 ... cortisone/

I am glad this works, because I can use these on my dogs too! Three years ago I brought one dog into the vet, $350 later, after putting him under anesthesia, they could not figure out why his feet were raw and he was licking them non-stop! Ten minutes after I got home I caught him in the back yard stomping on hornets! LOL

These dogs are also the reason I have to buy dandelion tea and not make my own -they pee on everything!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Thanks for the tip! We've usually got some chamomile tea around since I now and then need some help to relax in the evening. :D Now it proves double-handy.

Poor dog, I thought he would learn from previous experience. :eek:

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Droopy, he is the stupid one, he sees a hornet or wasp and he stomps it every time, he also stomps wolf spiders that occasionally get in the house!

I shouldn't call him stupid, he has learned a few tricks, he'll smoosh them with his neck and shoulder -somehow he knows that husky fur protects him... always a day at the zoo in this house!