Garden Changes

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by Jewell, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Last year was a great year for my hydrengeas and phlox. So much so that two hydrengea and many phlox got moved to new beds or to the backs of beds in the back yard. I am hoping that I will have better access to paths and haven't lost too many moved perennials. Everything except the mini Iris are doing well. The paths are still visible and I took the hedge trimmers to the phlox for a quite chop. They were already three feet tall. image.jpg image.jpg
    My veggie areas are dog protected and the berries are blooming. My gardening for eating isn't very varied and sometimes it feels like I am growing greens primarily for the dogs. I sometimes feel they eat more greens than my sweetie.

Most of my color this time of year is in the front yard, but the daffodils, sweet almond bush and heather are about finished. Still lots of hyathins blooming though as you can see bright blue in the following photos. image.jpg
    We took out an apple tree that had lousy apples and a Japanese maple. A small red leafed Japanese maple is all that remains. We now have a lot more light and can watch the sunset. I planted some pumpkin seeds from the last remaining pumpkin in a few places in the beds. If the seeds do well growing I will start saving seed from this pumpkin since it was such a great keeper.
    . image.jpg image.jpg
    I am hoping to stick a couple of tomato plants somewhere in the beds. I have been wanting to take better advantage of my front yard for veggies and fruit so it is good getting started. The street strip on the other side of the fence already got a planting of ever earring raspberries and lemon cucumbers among the wild flowers and Iris.

donm and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. GinnyC

GinnyC Seedling

Jewell, your gardens are just amazing.

4. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Look good. I especially like the blue blooming plants. Where did you get them? I would like to have some.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Your garden is beautiful and a testament to all the hard work you've put into it. A real pleasure to look at Jewell.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Ginny, thank you.
    MissKitty, they are Hyacinthoides hispanica. They have multiplied throughout my yard. They are considered a weed here because they self sow and will push there way between pavers, as seen below. I have always loved them and they are encouraged to grow in all my beds and even a lawn area.:rolleyes:
    Eileen, a very high compliment, thank you.
    image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    Donna S and Frank like this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful gardens. Your property is stunning.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh Jewell, your gardens look so great! You are SO far ahead of us here!

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Jewell, your garden is one of the prettiest I've seen. Every picture you have posted has always looked so lush and full of plants.

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Beautiful Jewell. I really enjoyed my morning walk through your gardens.

11. Jewell

Barb, high compliments from a master gardener:oops:. Can't wait to see your garden again this year.

Thanks Netty, we are a good 3 weeks early and already have burn bans that don't usually happen until July or August. Early, early spring here, the clematis started flowering in the back yard.:eek:.

2forus, this has evolved slowly. No lawn left in most of the yard. Lots of perrenials, a few veggies/fruit bushes, natives and assorted small shrubs make it almost manageable. Can you tell gardening is my hobby?:D And that I hate grass?

Thanks Donna, hope you had a warm beverage to accompany your stroll.

waretrop likes this.