Garden is slowly getting weeded

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    After two years of neglect the garden is getting on overhaul thanks to the help of my son. My priorities were in other places and the buttercups managed to smother many plants and some major parts of a couple of beds. Between trips I am slowly getting things to rights, but it will take most of the summer. Fortunately we had a lot of flowers to rescue from where my son planted his veggie garden. A friend also took home multiple car loads of perennials from the area that got plowed under. Here’s what it looks like at the moment. Nature sure has a mind of its own and buttercups and bind weed rush in when not being closely monitored.

The woodland garden was least impacted by neglect.
    BCD88CE5-AF22-4195-AFCC-A4C968690F17.jpeg 87F077DC-23DE-4A6B-86B4-65A69B4DC15C.jpeg

All new transplants where buttercups had smothered many phlox and most everything else.
    05F8694D-98F3-4C44-98C5-2FFB40094049.jpeg

Keagan build a hoop house for tomatoes, peppers, cukes, carrots and some greens. Just clearing the paths has been a time consuming effort.
    2166187A-9EA6-43B0-9008-AD58982C6977.jpeg

The early started produce was in the hoop house or pots. Later crops are in the garden F0F70265-0D14-4194-8E92-CCE27BD2C993.jpeg

342EA53A-85B0-4769-B083-91FB208AFD88.jpeg

39DE4A18-99AD-4AA5-BF85-BE1BD8DE1365.jpeg

At adulthood my son acknowledges the work that goes into maintaining a garden. Seems to have come as a bit of a surprise to him. I love all the help and time together the garden has provided.

Frank, Sjoerd, DeepWoods and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I can see you have been doing a lot to put your garden to rights. Looks great to me Jewell.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it nice when your children are willing to help you out in the garden? You've both made good progress and, like CM, I think your garden is looking good already.

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks CM, as gardeners we always see how much is left to do and not what has been accomplished. We are terraforming the back half lot with pulled weeds, especially buttercups. The upper terrace is twice it’s original size with our efforts to eradicate weeds and needing a place to compost them. Our yard waste bin has been filled to overflowing with bindweed and bush trimmings.

We lost 4 of 6 cauliflower starts and half a row of pea seedlings to dog snacking snatchers. All greens have to be covered otherwise the little dogs go munching. Replanted the peas yesterday and will finish covering them today. Little dogs can decimate a small garden.

Eileen, it is absolutely wonderful having an enthusiastic gardener in the household. Keagan has developed a productive and beautiful vegetable garden that I would not have attempted with all the other needs of our third acre city lot. It has all come together beautifully.