Garden shed

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Kay, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I've been wishing for a garden shed since we have lived here (11 years) We could never decide on a good spot for it, as I have gardens in most of the yard. LOL Then a small Spruce tree started to die and I imagined it would have to go, and I could just picture it gone and the shed there. So, after cutting down the ailing tree, and several months, it is up and functional! Yea!
    My husband is a carpenter with many years of building experience, so it was done methodically and well. We had to level the ground before putting down the footings.
    Then I had to be very patient and wait a while until he had time. Doesn't hurt that my son manages a lumber yard, so materials weren't a problem. :)
    Bob built the walls in his shop and we assembled them and the roof in a day. I painted just to get a coat on it .I do plan on a different color next spring. Bob trimmed out the door and window, and shingled the roof this week.
    I have (of course) moved all my tools in. It will be so great to store things in winter, and have them much more handy in my garden.Also, as you can see I still need a step to the door. Now I'm imaging a flagstone area in front and a planting box< :) Love it IMG_1510.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Congratulations on your garden shed after waiting for 11 years. It is really nice and sturdy shed.
    I'm sure you'll make it more homely :)

Philip Nulty and Kay like this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Great looking garden shed Kay. Nothing like having all your garden equipment in one location.

Jerry

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well worth waiting for Kay. Now you'll always have somewhere to store all your precious garden tools. Yes a patio and how about a nice garden chair to sit in on summer days? :)

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looks great! And I can definitely see a planting box, and maybe even a small garden :)

7. Kay

Netty- I have already given Bob the specs for the planter box

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kay, one of my husband's friends was complaining about how demanding his wife is. My husband replied, "Well, try being married to a gardener!"
    I took it as a compliment. It was a compliment, wasn't it:setc_002:?
    I love the look of your garden shed, and can hardly wait to see the flagstone area, planter box, and perhaps, a container of herbs?

Philip Nulty, Odif and Frank like this.
  9. Kay

Thanks MG- HaHa Bob is a pretty good guy when it comes to my demands (I mean Requests) I appreciate his help so much doing the jobs I can’t do.
    I also have a couple shrubs to transplant next spring... the list never ends

waretrop and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super=dooper work that your man did there. You are really going to love that place, aren't you.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Kay, I am green with envy! What a great garden shed!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. Kay

Sjoerd-I think I remember being green with envy of your shed a while back. I know I’m going to really enjoy it, tools all organized and handy. In the next few weeks, I’ll be filling it with garden misc. that I have always hauled into the garage or basement. Love having my own space, and Bob has already taken over the vacated space in the shop for his tools and wood supplies. It’s a win-win!!!

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Heh, heh, heh...sweet of you to say, Kay. I really cannot do without one.
    It sounds like that win-win scenario is already proving its value.
    Enjoy that shed, miss!

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Does your sweet husband know what he's let loose and that this is just the beginning? ;) As I'm reading the thread, I'm seeing the work now in store for him....... flagstone area, planter box, container for herbs, chair or bench, small garden...and I'd like to add an awning of some kind over the door! Oh the bushes you want to plant..don't forget those! :D

It's a handsome looking shed Kay, and I it's obvious how much use you'll get out of it!

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  15. Kay

Ronni, LOL more like I’ve unleashed myself! It will probably be mostly my labor put into this new project. Oh he’ll need to help haul flagstone (although the 40 some foot flag walk we have was mostly installed by me !) I’ll pace myself.... it’ll be fun! As we all know, a gardener’s work is never done.

Since this photo, Bob has put a trim piece around the roof, fascia, as well as laying shingles. Gives it a little more finished look.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017
    Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  16. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

That shed looks good Kay,..tell Bob i said that,..gosh you were patient waiting all those 11 years but congrats now,..don't let it get like mine,..so full that i have not managed to get to the far end in a long time :rolleyes::whistling: