Gardening with refugee's.....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Mar 31, 2018.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I think I've posted it here before as to how Mrs FBG adopts refugee's, and then she helps them get on their feet, find jobs, and housing. Then helps to furnish the home, put clothes on their backs, and teaches them the intricacies of life far away from their native homes.

My jobs in this are to provide the money,(that would be why I have a job) and to teach them some vernacular English and how to garden. They get to learn all sorts of hillbillyism's from me, and, how they are to be properly used.

This year we have a mother with adult daughter and grandson from Rwanda. They helped to plant peas a couple of weeks ago. They are thrilled to see cracked soil with little bits of green poking out. They want to get the tomato, cabbage, and kale starts out already. Patience grasshopper.

These folks are some hard workers. I never realized how much knowledge I gained by osmosis when gardening with my grandparents. Trying to teach what I know, without knowing the why's is kinda difficult. Makes me have to slow down and think it does! They want to know everything!

Anyhow, just throwing this out there so's everybody understands that Mrs FBG is the good person around here. My 'tolerating' her hobby of adopting people is her good rubbing off.

hummerbum, eileen, 2ofus and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

FGB, Mrs. FBG isn't the only good person in your family. You may never know just how much you have helped these refugees, but believe me Someone:smt051 knows!
    Garden knowledge by osmosis--you are passing along what you learned without knowing the why's and figuring out the why's. Your grandparents knowledge is living on.
    I love the thought that people from Rwanda are speaking vernacular English. If you need a few Texanisms, I'll be glad to provide them!

hummerbum, eileen, 2ofus and 2 others like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Good for you that you are helping people this way FBG. Kudos to the missus too. I sm impressed.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Helping these people not only teaches them about gardening but could also create new gardeners who will pass the knowledge down through the generations. You and your wife are doing such an important job. :)

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think both you and your wife are doing an important job! Showing them how to grow their own food is just as important as getting them settled in to a new life. Kudos to you both!

7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Hearts of Gold!!!

marlingardener likes this.