Getting Dirty for Health

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jewell, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Here is a little article that gives you the dirt on dirt. Health through dirt. http://www.nwf.org/News-and-Magazin...hives/2013/Getting Dirty for Good Health.aspx

There is so much for scientists to learn about making mud pies, and get that dirt under your fingernails. The more I learn about healthy bacteria the more intrigued I get. Makes the love of gardening so important on so many levels :stew1: Or it may be my excuse for being a little shabby on my days off when I'm working in the garden. :D

Frank and Ren2012 like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If dirt is healthy, I am probably the healthiest person you've ever seen! I can get downright grubby by 8 a.m., and absolutely repulsive by noon. I even have a tee-shirt that says "Soil is our friend, embrace it!"

Jewell and Ren2012 like this.
  4. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

I have always said that children who play outside and get dirty are healthier than those who don't. They get sick less since they are exposed to nature rather than staying indoors and being sanitized by germ x all the time. (I have some friends that over sanitize everything including their kiddles. The poor kids get sick at the drop of a hat as do the parents). Our bodies build up immunities. If we don't give it anything to fight off we just get sick all the time. It's good to be clean but there is a such thing as too sanitized.

There is nothing wrong with dirt!

Frank, marlingardener and Kiasmum like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree 100% Ren. My kids were rarely ill as they played outside and got dirty, collected bruises and scrapes but were happy. They never wanted to come indoors and would even eat their lunch on the doorstep. The most I did was wipe their hands before they ate. Dirt never did them any harm. They all look back on their childhoods with fond memories. I wonder if some of the children today will be able to do that?

Ren2012 likes this.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I agree with you all. I always tell people that they can tell if I'm having fun by how much dirt I have on me. :D
    As kids, we'd play outside... only indoors when it was rainy or cold. We'd ride the bikes. Climb trees. Explore the woods. Ride neighbors horses. Chase cows. Play ball. Jump rope, etc.
    We'd have days where we couldn't get off our bikes at all (except to go the bathroom). We had the water hose propped up on something so we could get a drink... yes... right outta the hose (which some folks cringe at the thought of doing these days). Momma would bring us a sandwich or snack.
    Fun times... and yep... we were usually dirty by the end of the day... everyday.

Ren2012 likes this.
  7. Ren2012

Ren2012 Seedling

I was always outside. my kids do the same. They love being outside. :). We spend many days at the beach or on the rivers. They dig in the dirt and ride bikes, catch mini dinasours We are outside more than inside. Everyone should go outside!!! Get dirty have a blast!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Dirt is my very best friend. I eat it all the time, I am sure, as I never or rarely wash my food when I am in the garden and as that is all day every day I must eat a lot of it...I even forego washing my hands while I am out there. Someday I will take a pictue of my hands dirty then washed and they are hardly any different, to my embarrassment.

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I agree with everyone here, dirt is healthy! As a kid I used to be playing around the farm all of the time, digging in the dirt, skipping with muddy animals. Certain I got a great immune system because of that. Thanks dirt!