Getting My Garden/Beds Cleaned Up After Lots of Rain

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by cherylad, Nov 2, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've lost track... but I think I've gotten close to 10 inches of rain in the last week. Talk about mushy earth! Not that I'm complaining... but it made it hard to get some of chores done today. I thought "ohhh the weeds should pull right out". But... not if your feet sink down a few inches when you try to get to them. So I could only get to some of them.
    The old patio umbrella that was acting as a trellis for the bean vine snapped in two. Probably a combination of the winds the other night and the weight of the vines (compounded by being soaking wet). Managed to get it temporarily mended and upright again. Hubby kept saying... come here and hold this up. I couldn't because my feet were sunk in the ground and I had a hard time getting them out. I almost lost my flip-flops! :D
    I cleaned out the bed along the side of the garage where the Cosmos were and laid down cardboard and mulch.
    I put in markers by alot of the plants so I wouldn't accidentally dig them up next year.
    Raked up all of the unripe pecans that were on the ground in my garden area. Practically none of them ripened... just green ones laying all over the place.
    I planted some Mums that I got a few weeks ago.
    Cleaned out/refilled the bird feeders and baths.
    Sprinkled some repellent for the armadillo(s) that is still showing up.
    I think I'm done for the day... except for washing my nasty feet!
    What a fun day I had!! :stew2:
    My main chore for tomorrow... sit down and make notes about things I want to remove/move/plant/replant next year.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You aren't the only "mud-bogged" one, Cheryl! I can't get into my seasonal vegetable garden yet--too wet and if I try to walk the paths, I'll just compact the soil. Flower beds? Squish, squish, so I'll stay out of them for a day or two.
    I'm not complaining about the 12" of rain we had in October, but I do wish it had spread itself out a bit more!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It's been raining here almost everyday for the past 2 weeks! Only difference is that it is COLD here too. Flip flops were packed away months ago :(

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I've got mud here too, Cheryl. I have had to do little bits of work anyway, as here we have to live with moisture. I planted a tree today and dug up another. Blaghh--what sticky and messy jobs they were.

Well, I can completely identify with your situation there. Good that you are going to take some time to do some planning. Planning is fun.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

Jane.. I couldn't agree more about having the rains spread out more.
    And yes... "Squish" is the word of the day around here.

Netty... I can't stand to wear socks and shoes... except for winter (which is typically late November through February). So flip flops are a standard around here. I even have some blinged out ones for special occasions! LOL
    Sjoerd... It's a messy job alright. But I really enjoyed being out there today... mud and all. It's been a couple of weeks since I could get out there and "hang out" with my plants. I've missed them!
    I'm a definite "planner". But alot of time, I OVER plan and make things worst. So, that's why I want to jot down my thoughts now and revisit them in the spring.

7. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We haven't had as much rain as Cherylad and marlingardener but it was sure squishy when we went to the market today. It's squishy out in the yard and garden, too. It's supposed to get to 40 degrees here tonight and it's usually a few degrees cooler out here in the country. So, I covered all of my tomatoes and herbs and brought in a few plants. But tomorrow it's into the mid 70's again with 50's at night. I'm glad it's staying warmer for a little longer.

dooley

8. cherylad

Dooley... I was looking at what plants I need to start gathering up for winter protection today. Probably by next weekend I'll start moving things to the "winterhouse" and making room for the special babies that'll come in the house.
    Oh darn.. that means I need to do some housecleaning! :D

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Meid, I hear what you are saying about "over-planning". That is an easy trap to fall into.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Way to go for you all Cheryl, There sure is nothing like getting rain, especially when you are hurting for it. Is it getting back to "normal" there for rainfall, though? you aren't still in the drought stage are you? I really understand the ankle deep mud issue though. When I planted pumpkins this year we had copious amounts of rain and when I wen to step into the patch to put the seeds in I sunk in over my ankle :eek: Needles to say, the pumpkins this year were a really poor crop. Way too wet and cold for the season :'( .

11. cherylad

Carolyn... we had good amounts of rain this year. I thought it was close to "normal" rainfall, but weatherfolks still said it was a drought. After the rains the other day, one weatherman said "no more drought for us". So I guess that got us caught up.
    Like Jane said... should be nice to have the rain spread out more.